8F 2002 tooling spare valve gear assembly

Jean-Paul -777581

I assume your are looking for X9155 which is the correct part number. As with a lot of Hornby Spares it is not available from the normal spares retailers a quick search shows then as out of stock. I have the same issue with Royal Scot valve gear. What part of the valve gear is broken?

I think I am correct in saying this pack has not been available from Hornby for several years and has not been included on Lendons master Hornby spares list for some time. Rather misleadingly, Peters Spares show "Temporarily Out Of Stock" against everything not actually in stock, even those parts which may never be seen again.

A last resort, perhaps, but Wizard Models offer the Comet Models LM5 etched nickel silver fret for the 8F motion components and pack LS8 gives suitable crosshead castings for around £20 but these are intended for use on their own chassis by experienced kit-building modellers so you would need to check whether they would fit Hornby's chassis if you feel happy you could put together the rather intricate assemblies - a download shows what would be involved.

I see there is a pre-owned R2228 on Hattons for £96 right now. Another option if you are in love with the model, (and who could blame you) is to buy that one and keep your existing one for spares. By the sound of things, it would be a good idea to have a stock of spares anyway. I think the only difference between the R2228 and 2229 is the former has LMS livery and latter BR livery.

I must admit find New Modellers and Lendons are more useful, Peters Spares are generally the one everyone goes to so they quickly run out. New Modellers has a system where they mail you if they ever come into stock. Buying a broken loco may be a way but generally these are nearly as expensive as buying a decent second hand one and if by chance there is one that is cheap there are 101 people after it, so bidding gets to ridiculous values. Been there with Royal Scots. One thing I did do was find a loco with the same dimensions of valve gear, buy a set for the loco (if they are reasonable price) and try and fix you existing valve gear with new bits, yes you have to buy new rivets. There again with this it depends what part is broken. Hornby are hopeless, certain models seem to break their valve gear regularly whereas others don't. A3/A4 locos valve gear seems really robust which is probably why you can still get them as spares. Royal Scot/Patriot I think they made the siders out of the same mazak as the duff chassis plus a "ropey" system for connecting the valve gear to the chassis (push fit easy to fall out). The other issue with buying a broken one quite often the Seller doesn't notice the broken bit, so it may be that the bit you are after may well be broken, the Seller always says they never noticed or they are selling it for a friend.