Couplers

milepost48

Great news Piko is on board, provided it’s as good at the Tillig ones but at least the pockets seem to be at consistent heights and to right dimensions

I'm actually a bit suprised it's taken them this long. Aside from Roco, most manufacturers whose products I own other than Piko have been using the Tillig couplers for some years now.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you find a cheap Rokal wagon on ebay then might as well grab it and investigate? Might be possible to use the Tillig couplings having the old style BTTB shaft (I've got a pack of those on the way to play with my BTTB set). Depends how Rokal mount theirs? I expect something can be done to fit the new type.

I did find on German ebay a special converter with an NEM shank and a Rokal coupling head, but not found anything yet to fit a Tillig head to a Rokal wagon.

Also, looking at the Rokal items on ebay their wheel flanges are very coarse. I've seen on a German TT forum comments about problems with the coarse Rokal wheelsets on modern NEM standard pointwork. You'd need to replace the wheels or have them lathed.

Put this through google translate :)

https://www.tt-board.de/forum/threads/kupplungs-umruestung-an-rokal-fahrzeugen.46935/

Coarse wheels and in some cases poor detail is what turns me off older stock. I’m purposely holding off buying stuff I don’t really want, just to have something to run. Having been wooed by my Arnold Refrigerator vans, Piko BR 130 loco and a soon to

appear Tillig 236 diesel shunter, hopefully only weeks away from my Easterner set, I know the old stuff with all its issues would frustrate me. One of the good things in modern TT seems to be a pretty accurate NEM pocket

My pack of Tillig 08848 couplings to fit the old BTTB pocket just arrived from Germany. Very simple to exchange the old stirrup coupling head with the new Tillig type.

I won't know how well the coupling height compares with Hornby until my Easterner set is delivered in the fullness of time.

forum_image_63b41f5ea7337.thumb.png.937dfc9bfadac8a2878e9ff00765bd81.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi David, I saw these on WHWW site too when getting some of their TT bits (excellent stuff) but unless I am missing something I can’t see a good reason for the Hunt Magnet Couplings in TT. The close coupling of the ‘Tillig Type’ coupler adopted by Hornby/Arnold/Piko etc is as close as you can get and if the couplings are a bit tight, swapping just 1 to a Tillig produced one cures that.

Is there another advantage to the Hunt Magnetic ones I have missed? (Never used them)

I think some people like magnetic couplings either because they suffer too many rogue uncoupling incidents (seems to be the main reason for people adopting the N gauge Hunts) and/or they like the ease of uncoupling compared to say hook-and-loop types.

Not something I'm bothered about, my N gauge Rapido couplings work fine as do the Tillig for TT.

I think some people like magnetic couplings either because they suffer too many rogue uncoupling incidents (seems to be the main reason for people adopting the N gauge Hunts) and/or they like the ease of uncoupling compared to say hook-and-loop types.

Not something I'm bothered about, my N gauge Rapido couplings work fine as do the Tillig for TT.

I've had "rogue uncoupling incidents" with Jägendorfer Collection ÖBB "Spantenwagen" (4-wheel coaches). Sometimes Peco wagons can have the problem too.

Tillig 08840 Gauge TT TT-Kupplung für NEM-Aufnahme modellbahnshop-lippe.com

These are the ones I got, but they do a l larger pack number 08841. Shipping is 12.50 euro flat rate, they do knock the VAT off, but keep any orders below about a 100 quid or Customs will hammer you on duty. Shipping is fast on in stock items too.

Arnold UK: Model Trains, Buildings and Accessories (arnoldmodel.com)

These do couplings too, but you will need to contact them since there are no pictures for guidance.

TT, not sure why you want to swap in the first place?

If you read earlier in this thread, Tillig considered a direct replacement for the Hornby so you woul be swapping for something exactly the same.

Also earlier, Arnold couplings while very similar are “tight”, making coupling/uncoupling difficult. Desirable to swap at least one for Tillig.

Hornby and Arnold both use the Kuehn made couplings that are a match for the Tillig design that is adopted as the TT120 standard.

Although they look very similar they are not identical, especially in operation. The Kuehn ones are tight, this can make coupling and uncoupling a bit of a faf. I have swapped out all my couplings for the genuine Tillig ones, they are superb. To couple only required the slightest touch and uncoupling I use a magnetic tip flat blade screwdriver, it lifts the metal hooks and they are apart. They stay connected in use for me. Because I like shunting and marshalling trains I don’t want to be fighting with an awkward system. I must of course add, I haven’t tried the exact Hornby coupler but so far video footage suggests they are a bit tricky.

Uncoupling poles are available from Tillig, the ramps are coming from Hornby soon.