Hornby class 90 new dcc version (replacement motor)

Trainman1974

Hi Colin

That's the problem with modern Hornby Service Sheets they do not show the numbers of the parts that make up the power bogie etc. that's where the older sheets do. It also shows the failure in using so many different but similar motors in the same type of power bogie ( twin axel drive). No one knows which one to recommend.

The other issue I have is there is no proper wiring diagram, for the newer electronic reliant models on the newer service sheets.

Hornby part numbering is rubbish anyway. Quite often parts are interchangeable but have different part numbers. Someone asked me recently if a Royal Scot loco was the same as the more popular X4026 motor. As I was repairing a Royal Scot at the time I checked, yes exactly the same but a different part number and half the price. The 0-6-0 chassis used in Jintys and Thomas the Tank, they all have the same part number but are different if the back wheels are sprung or not. So it is a lucky dip, fortunately most are not that expensive so you can take a gamble as I do with most motors.

I see no reason why a wiring diagram cannot be posted for each of the more complex locos. It’s not as if the schematic will include any really proprietary data, just identification of components and their connectivity, which would be handy for troubleshooting problems folk may have.

@ ColinB

As far as I know, Hornby do not publicise the part numbers for complete loco chassis as they are not normally offered to the public, so it would be interesting to hear how you have established that all Jinty/Thomas-type 0-6-0T chassis carry the same number regardless of specification.

Some motors may indeed be interchangeable without any modification as they are physically the same but have you compared the internals for them to be "exactly the same" in terms of suitability for performance and durability.

Going Spare it is stamped on the chassis and Peters Spares sell them. Now I assume that it would cost too much to modify the casting so that is why it carries the same part number or moulding number. There again I assume that removing the rear sprung fitting would necessitate a new casting but perhaps the change was covered by not machining the chassis. As a very experienced Professional Engineer, I spend a considerable time checking the gears etc. to check that the replacement parts that I recommend do actually fit. I know from my experience in my company most people generally use an existing part if it is available rather than design a new one, hence why I spend a lot of my time working out which parts Hornby have reused. Sometimes Hornby do use a motor that looks absolutely the same as another motor but they must they change the number of turns on the armature. A new Princess motor (from latest version) runs considerably faster than an old one, but then when I bought a set of gears and it it immediately became obvious why.