Couplers out of alignment

RB51

After running the locomotive in I decided to attach the coaches. Initially I was perplexed as to why Cecilia would not couple up to either the tender for any of the other coaches. Upon closer inspection I noticed that the couplers both ends are lower than any of the others in the set. They appear to be in the NEM pocket the same distance as the good ones they just lean down a bit. Loath to apply too much pressure in case I break it - currently in touch with customer services. R-forum_image_63a05c6d27e59.thumb.png.cf8fcc8faf43710cde9d0abcc124cb40.png

Disappointing that on a new range of product Hornby can't apply the NEM 359 standards consistently. The middle of the coupler shaft when viewed from the side should be 4mm above the rail head. If the couplers are at a consistent height they can tolerate a small amount of drooping.

Difficult to see from the photo but I agree with @howzatt, it does look as though the KK self-centering mechanism isn't located properly? The pocket looks way too low.

I see this sometimes with N gauge models which have taken a knock, they need a bit of fiddling to re-position the mechanism and ensure the centering spring is in place.

Solved! Not being sure what the KK arm was I undertook a much magnified and brightly lit examination of the coupler in question. It took a while to find but there was a tiny lug sitting outside and below the channel that it should have been following. Gentle persuasion got it back and now all three coaches couple up in any configuration. Thanks for all the pointers. R-

I haven't seen the couplers close up on the Hornby models yet, but on most Tillig and Kuehn models I have, the coupler is located on a pin, along which it can be finely adjusted up or down as needed. They almost always need adjustment on first removal from the box, to whatever position I have mine all set to.

I haven't seen the couplers close up on the Hornby models yet, but on most Tillig and Kuehn models I have, the coupler is located on a pin, along which it can be finely adjusted up or down as needed. They almost always need adjustment on first removal from the box, to whatever position I have mine all set to.

That's interesting. I wonder the ones you have are an older design. I have recent Tillig and Arnold models as well as a supply of spare Tillig couplers. I can't see any means of adjusting them. The coupler arm is a single plastic moulding. As for the NEM pockets they also have no discernible means of adjustment.

That's interesting. I wonder the ones you have are an older design. I have recent Tillig and Arnold models as well as a supply of spare Tillig couplers. I can't see any means of adjusting them. The coupler arm is a single plastic moulding. As for the NEM pockets they also have no discernible means of adjustment.

Even on the very latest pieces (of non-powered rolling stock - admittedly 95% of that is passenger stock) I have, the coupler can be adjusted vertically along its pin - the entire box containing the NEM pocket is on this pin. Since correctly adjusted height is important, it would be boneheaded for Tillig to have removed that feature...

Older designs that date back to BTTB designs were completely non-adjustible.

Now you got me curious...

All of my wagons (Tillig #17152, MÁV Gbgs and Tillig set #01702 ÖBB DDm car transporters) are adjustable.

None of my Euro outline locos (two Piko, two Tillig) are adjustable.

Kuehn coaches don't look adjustable...

TT-Model St Petersburg coaches are adjustable

LS-Models coaches are not adjustable

Tillig (new design) UIC Y/OSShD B coaches are adjustable

Tillig UIC Z coaches are not (or don't look to easily be)

Tillig Halberstadt coaches are not

Tillig UIC X coaches are not

The majority of my coaches are the Y/B type... I'm a bit surprised, thought all were adjustable, but then again never thought to look closely at how the couplers are mounted.

That’s very interesting. Thanks for checking. Rallymatt and I each only have a small number of TT models just to get us started while we wait for the Hornby stuff to start arriving. So I wasn’t sure how representative they were.

It could certainly be helpful if all models had vertically adjustable couplings. Although with the few models I have, so far I haven’t had any issues that would have required it. My only occasional problem has been with the Arnold couplings which are sometimes too tight a fit and don't want to go together or separate easily. But I solved that by changing them for Tillig ones and Rallymatt has done the same.

The Coupling Nerds 🤓 strike

again! It’s interesting that Tillig seem to have gone for adjustability but not across the board. The NEM pockets (and so couplings) on my Piko and Arnold wagons seem to line up perfectly so hopefully it’s a standard that is being observed in TT120 unlike in OO