What are the correct carriages

chris-1278694

Hattons retains information, even with the item no longer in stock.

Hopefully, this is the information you seek.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/12258/hornby_r1021m_east_coast_express_complete_trainset/stockdetail

Hornby R1021M "East Coast Express" complete trainset

"East Coast Express" complete trainset with Britannia class loco "John Of Gaunt" in BR green with 2 BR maroon Mk1 coaches, 1 BR maroon Gresley coach, oval track with siding.

Bee

Edit: I copied the text from the Hatton's website. No idea why it would be so huge. Sorry about that!

It would be useful to have some more comprehensive text editing tools in the posting and reply windows for when you do want to copy text from other sources. In my opinion that would be of more use than emojis. to mean Alternatively you can copy the text to be edited into Windows notepad or a word processing program and edit it there.

Hi Chris

Thompson , Gresley and MK1 coaches with the E before the coach numbers if you want to get pedantic about it.

They can be a mix of blood and custard and crimson with possibly the odd LNER due for the paint shop.

The ER green and cream was I think mainly used on tourist type services and I think its the other mob that did do some of those coaches and they would run as a complete train.

and John O Gaunt could probably be used on those kind of trains as well.

At a push you could also get away using it on fish and milk trains as both of those types of trains are perishable and very time sensative I know A4's have been used to haul fish trains

regards John

If I remember correctly the Gresley coach is a maroon brake so I bought a maroon composite (the older type) to expand my set along with another brake. I eventually added a couple of Mk1s (the type with the flush glazing but not the very up to date ones (I think they were branded Top link)

You may finf this link useful regarding the real locos shed allocations https://davidheyscollection.myshopblocks.com/pages/david-heys-steam-diesel-photo-collection-91-br-britannia-class-7-2

Which mentions it moving to the London Midland region which possibly opens up more scope to have maroon Mk 1 coaches with the M prefix.

John o' Gaunt operated in East Anglia from 1951 till early 1963 so all the above suggestions are good. If I recall correctly, the set comes with 2 Mk1 composite coaches and a shorty Gresley brake composite. If you want to create a longer train but maintain realism, it would probably be better to go for some all 3rd coaches - either the Railroad Mk1 coaches, or the superdetailed Gresleys which are often available in maroon or crimson and cream on ebay, and significantly cheaper than the superdetailed teak livery. They never made an all 3rd in the cheap shorty Gresley version.

As Buz says, there was often a mix of liveries in the same train (particularly on lesser passenger services in East Anglia) so a mix of maroon and crimson/cream is very appropriate. Teak liveries were probably quite uncommon by the time the maroon livery came in, but I'm sure there will be a photo out there with all 3 liveries in the same train. Older teak coaches were often employed to increase capacity in the summer.