EMUs and DMUs

Invicta Alec

Up until now I've only done N gauge. I don't have the slightest interest in steam locomotives and my layout is populated by British outline EMU/DMUs.

Running passenger trains is what I like to do therefore among others I've got classes 101, 108, 142, 150, 156, 170, 350, 411, 800.

With advancing age and diminishing eyesight I'm closely watching developments in TT120. I'll gladly spend money if anything suitable becomes available but I think I might have a long wait?

I hope not too long a wait as I too want the typical DMU that served many local services.

I fully understand that launching a British Outline TT120 range Hornby had to go with the big hitting Pacific’s and the locos and coaches that sell in big numbers. I’m sure given unrestricted resources Simon Kohler would have hit the world with TT120 everything!

my fingers are crossed for a 108 or 110 in green 😁

I'd have thought a 108 unlikely — it's never been done by Hornby so far and the 101 is both more widespread and lasted longer, though I doubt if they have relevant CAD data for any DMUs — the ex-Lima 101 is probably the newest of those they've offered in the past, the 110 being early 1980s tooling.

Another obvious candidate is a 121—another long-lived type. In EMUs, the Brighton Belle, 2-HAL and 2-BIL are all possibilities as well as the 4-VEP.

• 3 weeks later...

Probably more chance of EMU's like the BIL or VEP making an appearance as the design base already exists for 00. I think the scale really lends itself to producing more EMU/DMU models though - simply because they'd be smaller. I'd like to see SUB/EPB's as I travelled on those to school in the mid-late 70's, early 80's. I'd certainly be keen on an electrostar though...smiley