Interior decor of Gresley teak coaches

Topcat2018

Does anyone know where I can find information on the decor of 61 ft Gresley teak coaches such as 1st/3d composite R477? I am fitting some of my coaches with lighting and the current grey interior moulding just looks awful when lit. I assume the interiors were wood panelled so why didn't Hornby make them light brown? Was it because they used the identical moulding on LMS coaches? I would also be grateful for any information on the colour of upholstery in 1st and 3rd.

@Topcat, I did what Bulleidboy suggested. You probably know this, but may I recommend that you put "Gresley" in quotes in the google search bar. This makes Gresley a required field in search results.

The search result I found most informative was this one

http://www.lnersvrcoachfund.org.uk/teak_set.html

Its actual Teaks on the Severn Valley Railway. Further, the folks appear to be toeing a very serious research line, which I think would be quite helpful to you.

Now of course, that's just the one I thought interesting. Color photos. Carriage by carriage analysis. Details! That's just me, this isn't the LMR and I hold only a passing interest.

I'd be interested to hear how it goes and what you decide

Cheers

Bee

Thanks for all your suggestions. I found plenty of photos with upholstery in a bewildering variety of patterns and colours but didn't know which were true to the originals.

@Bee

I did come across the Severn Valley Railway photos and now you've told me that they are serious researchers I will refer to them. I think that blue for first class and red for third class as shown in their photos is what I will use.

Generally, in a lot of coaches of that era, the first class seats are of a blue colour while thirds were more of a red colour. If you looked at the photos linked to above you can see there are a lot of variations on this. However, I doubt if any of these are using the original fabric.

I think a mistake a lot of people make when painting coach interiors is using colours that are way too dark or too bright.

@topcat

One thing I also particularly liked about the SVR Teaks is that they can be visited. I do not know your location, of course, but you could potentially visit to get a real sense of texture, color, look and feel.

This is the same dilemma Hornby often faces. Do they match the item people can see in a museum, or do they maintain historical perfection, but most people will not know? I will not hijack your thread, but for the LMR, there is real divergence between museum preserved 1930s and machine drawings from the 1830s. I think in the case of the SVR Teaks, you get the best of both worlds! Historical accuracy and preservation.

Cheers

Bee