Operation Metcalfe

Peachy

Metcalfe card kits

Easily my first port of call for buildings, as they have such a fantastic range all at good prices and all easy to customise, only problem being no TT 120 of course.

I think they just need a little help with being persuaded that this fledgling community of ours is worth their while bothering with.

Could I suggest as many of us would be buyers of a TT Metcalfe product start politely lobbying them on their Facebook page? (via messenger)

can’t hurt can it? Fingers crossed. 😁

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seconded, but for those like me that don't do faceache, maybe an email.

Although I am sure I have done that already and had no reply.

TBH if you do faceache then maybe do it publicly rather than via messenger, just post expressing an interest in them doing TT stuff and asking if they plan too, the more public the better for their awareness IMO, and you may get others joining the request.

Seconded, but for those like me that don't do faceache, maybe an email.
Although I am sure I have done that already and had no reply.
TBH if you do faceache then maybe do it publicly rather than via messenger, just post expressing an interest in them doing TT stuff and asking if they plan too, the more public the better for their awareness IMO, and you may get others joining the request.

Unfortunately @Too Tall it’s not possible to comment on their Facebook page, the only option is messenger (which to be fair they replied promptly and politely) or via email.

I’m not calling for any sort of aggressive direct action. I’m just hoping if enough of us ask nicely they might go for it sooner than later.

But then as @96RAF mentioned, they have just built a major extension, so might just want some breathing space before they commit to any more expenditures

@iron Body Absolutely no reason why it shouldn't. You might have to use different thicknesses of card, though. I tend to use 2000 and 1500 micron as the thickest for buildings, with 1000 and 500 for parts that don't need as much mass. Try printing onto a4 sticky labels to avoid the need to glue the printed sheet on. Much quicker and if you find you've used the wrong card thickness, you can nearly always peel it off!

I bought & built one, really nice little kit, instructions not aimed at beginners, but it is such good value and nicely made. Mine is located at Twizzle Head, covering the junction from the viaduct onto the main line and single line section through Cragg Edge Cutting … it has windows all round (no glazing strip in my kit)

That's good to know, probably scaled to British N not ROW N ?

From what I understand, ROW N is 1:160, British 1:148, seems us Brits have form for that in model railways, at least the new TT is right !

I have actually got a Metcalfe N gauge engine shed as the dimensions looked to fit the TT 4-6-2 loco length and the width suits my narrowed engine sidings. If its needs a bit of height, I have some balsa square rod to help.

No idea how it will look yet as haven't built it up, but hopefully it won't look out of place !

I also have a Peco TT signal box and 2x country stations (laser cut wood) that I plan to make as one with a bit of kit bashing and reversing the back to the front on one side.

And I have the Inthegreen TT footbridge, which I will need to shorten to a single span to work with my station arrangement.

Finally the eBay seller sr-3d_designs has been accommodating with my requests for fencing and a tunnel portal converted to TT from their OO stuff, so if you see any stuff you like they are selling in OO, it could be worth messaging to ask if they will do a TT version. I have no affiliation, just a happy customer.

From what I understand, ROW N is 1:160, British 1:148, seems us Brits have form for that in model railways, at least the new TT is right !

Indeed. I've been working with Continental and North American TT myself since the 90s, I've always wanted to do something British, considered 3mm (to stick with 12 mm gauge at least), but the gauge/scale discrepancy has always put me off. This is finally letting me get into some British outline modelling, too!

Japanese N is 1:150 - but they're modelling Cape Gauge, so it's supposed to be narrow gauge.

Japanese N is 1:150 - but they're modelling Cape Gauge, so it's supposed to be narrow gauge.

They also use 1:80 as well, they do seem to take the "whatever they feel like" method to their approach to scale... Mind you, there was also Trix's 3.8mm/ft efforts as well, not to mention Playcraft from the 60s!

They also use 1:80 as well, they do seem to take the "whatever they feel like" method to their approach to scale... Mind you, there was also Trix's 3.8mm/ft efforts as well, not to mention Playcraft from the 60s!

It's an interesting coincidence though that one of Japan's accurate scale-to-gauge combinations is TTj - 1:120 on 9 mm track. But is it ever expensive... years ago I saw a D51 steamer from Tenshodo, RTR brass, for the price of a small car. The kits are quite pricey, too.

Thanks for the replies chaps, some good info.

(I do wish this forum system would give us notifications of replies)

As for Metcalfe N gauge stuff, I was already thinking some of the non trackside buildings such as the church (which I’ve just built) could work away off in the distance.