Hollybush Railway - TT120 layout photos

Dave the Busker

Posted (edited)

Picos and DFPlayers run off DC. 😀

DF Players will run standalone from a push button. No DCC required. We wanted a bit more control, hence the Pico, and we are testing out the system on a public layout. It is still working fine after a couple of months.

Tip: if you want some good sound files take a look at the BBC sound effects library on their website. For private use their should be no issues with copyright. 

Edited by dBerriff
  • Like 2

I got some greetings cards sound modules for a couple of spot sounds and soldered a push button switch and recorded the sound I wanted directly via the inbuilt mic (Pair of Hawker Hunters screaming over) 

BBC sound library is an excellent suggestion, I want a longer file for the dock scene. 👍 

08 has stopped working again. Tried taking it apart to get at the motor contacts, nothing seems to be bringing it back to life consistently. I know it's not the motor, it does sometimes get a good contact and spin, but something is not connecting properly.

On 06/07/2024 at 18:22, Dave the Busker said:

I give up.

Take it apart, clean contacts, check screws, clean, double and triple check - no result

Accidentally give it a knock while setting it back on the track - works

If in doubt, hit it with a hammer 😁

• Haha 1

First of the Metcalfe kits, station platform shelter and waiting room. It's wired for lighting too but I've not got it plugged into the layout's power yet. It's showing up the uneven platform surface, so some weeds will no doubt start growing around the base to hide that...large.waitingroom.jpeg.8864ac03a39ea61949f14d74c7a4b731.jpeg

• Like 2

Today’s project. Just need to let the glue set before adding the canopy glazing. I'll probably look out a taller door too as this is another N kit. I was going to watch the tennis to kill time but it looks like that might not be on for long...large.IMG_1761.jpeg.e6f0f043c2429526100e3ba536dfabe5.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave the Busker said:

Today’s project. Just need to let the glue set before adding the canopy glazing. I'll probably look out a taller door too as this is another N kit. I was going to watch the tennis to kill time but it looks like that might not be on for long...large.IMG_1761.jpeg.e6f0f043c2429526100e3ba536dfabe5.jpeg

The station is looking very nice

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a new video from Hollybush. Not a whole lot of new stuff to show off, but got a day off to enjoy running the trains today. Pleased to report that the Morley controller is still running perfectly, I've had no motor issues since I switched to it. When I'm filming, operations can be quite stop-start and involve frequent direction changes to get locos in place for the shots. On my old controller, that seemed to cause no end of problems. 

• Like 6

Following on from @Rallymatt's thread on tiny self-contained switch and LED units for lighting brake vans and other tight spaces, here's one I tried. Needs a wee bit of lining inside the van to cut down light leaks where I don't want them, and we'll see how long the batteries last soon enough, but I'm impressed with these wee lights.

IMG_1841.jpeg

• Like 2

I ordered the starter pack of 3 lights and wand to see what I made of them. I've put the other two into the station canopy where it would have been difficult to put in wired lights and be able to hide the wires. These can just be stuck into the roof with a spot of blu-tack, no wires to worry about.

station lights.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Using @Rallymatt's circuit plan for battery powered DIY coach lighting. I'll not be putting any electricians out of work with my soldering skills, but I've got one of the trains fully lit without burning down the house! I'll put some video up on my YouTube channel later once it's dark outside. The room the railway's in doesn't have curtains that fully black out light and it's an usually bright day in Glasgow, not quite showing off the lights to full effect 

IMG_1878.jpeg

• Like 3

Today’s project has been this Metcalfe Fire Station. It’s the first one of theirs where the size difference between the N gauge kit and my TT:120 layout has felt noticeable. Still looks ok in the scene but it’s a very tight fit for the fire enginelarge.firestation.jpg.a548ddc000e3bd7632d632b8d607c2c2.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, What About The Bee said:

Move the engine away from the firehouse a bit.  

Aye, that's the plan, just put it close in to show the comparative sizes to illustrate if anyone else was thinking about trying this particular kit.

• Like 1