Hornby Dublo

CaptAisling

Hi

I am confused by the current Hornby branding. Can someone please explain the difference between locomotives under the Hornby name and those under the Hornby Dublo name? Also why such a price difference as they are the same scale and guage.

I am clearly missing something.

Hi CaptAisling

The sense I get is one of branding and marketing. Hornby, the company, wants to sell its various ranges of product. The product lines vary from simple and colorful toys for children, all the way to exquisite models for discerning, expert enthusiasts. The way to target these product lines is by branding.

With that fundamental discussion out of the way, Hornby Dublo appears to me to be their top shelf product, die cast bodies and etc. Limited edition models. They absolutely will function, but the sense I get is that these will nestle in their boxes instead of hard use on the layout. I absolutely may be wrong in this, but those are my impressions.

I hesitate to provide more than this, as anything more describes the marketing strategy effect on my person, than the marketing strategy itself.

It is marketing and branding, used to separate grades of product. I hope that helps

Bee

Yes you are both right the Hornby Dublo verson is basically the original plastic model with the original plastic body, replaced by a diecast one. The chassis and tender are exactly the same as a normal equivalent Hornby model (not Railroad). They come in a more fancy box but there again the new 9F does, but seeing they both cost about the same perhaps that is why. My HD City of Lichfield arrived with a wonky body and suspect valve gear which eventually broke, so no special treatment by Hornby because it was more expensive. The down side to all of this is my Supplier said they don't check the HD models on a length of track as most people that buy them don't want them run, so you are more likely to get a duff one. I intend on running all my HD models and have fitted them with sound decoders.

Not owning any modern Hornby Dublo products I don't know from personal experience, but to me Hornby Dublo conjures up memories of heavy and powerful locos with cast metal bodies, which later became G&R Wrenn models. I was always jealous of my friend's Wrenn locos when I was a lad in the 70s, compared to my Triang stuff :)

No sorry, lol. I bought them when I was modelling BR, and to be honest I might be daft but I’m not that daft that I would re-spray a DoubleO model. and I thought it would get picked on if it didn’t have a friend in the same livery… honest.

I would love to see a breakdown of parts costs on the modern Dublo models because the prices are insane.

All of the new Hornby Dublo range are £320, yet all three of the new SS range are cheaper, the Black 5 being considerably cheaper, yet they have considerably more to them. Is the body on the new Dublo’s made of gold or something?

well the model detail is the same as a standard model, being die-cast it obviously costs more, I can’t say the metal body costing will take up all the price difference. There are other things that must be considered price. The package will add a few £s 5-10 tops I’d say.

also because of the smaller run 500 in the case of City of Leicester. each setup costings are spread across a smaller number of models.

one thing about the DoubleO model that is better if you zoom in on he image is the lining. Especially on the boiler. Not only is it finer the shade is better.

is it worth the extra money is up to the buyer. Saying that I would only buy another if they did City of London in BR red, King GeorgeV in BR green and a LMS war time blank stream liner.

The new 9F’s came in the same upgraded packaging as the Dublo City of Lichfield. I think the 9F cost around £230ish with the old CC discount.

So that’s £90 away from £320. Let’s say the new packaging adds £10, that’s £80 away from £320. Are we supposed to believe a mass produced die cast body and some finer stripes are adding £80 to the models price? If the tender was also die cast, I could almost, almost see it adding up.