Problem with Elite again is it me?

geochoice

Hi

Just had Elite returned from Hornby from having firmware upgrade, plugged it in switched it on great, ran a loco round and all seemed fine, then went across reverse loop section and all stopped. Ran this previously ok with a Select. No light

on Elite seems dead, this was problem before when Hornby said it could be firmware problem and to return to them.

So no light on Elite means???

I have seen some discussions where it was indicated that there could sometimes be some issues with the way the power supply plugged into the elite. it might be worth pulling it out and re-inserting it perhaps with a few wobbles and see if you can get some

lights.

Just tested transformer and while I have no multimeter I do have a probe that ights at 12v, could be more say the 16v but seems transformer is ok. That leaves the problem with the Elite. Think I will request a refund because I am losing faith in this.

Any suggestions for a RELIABLE controller?

Geochoice, from what I see on this forum, the Elite is reliable as pretty much the only problem is a few not being able to do firmware upgrade. You seem to have an intermittent hardware fault though (probably the same one all along) and Hornby may have

been less than thorough as just about all returned to them are for firmware upgrade. If I were you, I'd be asking for a replacement.

There are certainly other brand options, many more capable, but also many more expensive.

GBB, you are only seeing

the people with problems, not the many who've had none, so fingers crossed. You've also shown you are willing to learn and can follow instructions, so the chances are you'll be fine.

Right offending item is on way for refund. Now, as I liked the Select and it worked, can I get two Selects and use them to run 2 locos at same time without all the complicity of firmware etc etc the Elite gives because i reckon it is over specced and that

is why it gives problems.

Any advice on connecting the Selects and cables to use, I understand only 1 connects to the main track and the other connects to that Select.

Right/Wrong ? Thanks,.

You can't connect Select's together. I really would stick with the Elite, its a really good controller particularly when combined with Railmaster. I think you have been unlucky and if you go to other Forum's you will find that 'all' the makes have problems

for people from time to time.

I'd get it back and hopefully you will enjoy it on its return.

According to Hornby site you can conect up to 8 Select Walkabouts R8235 to Main Select R8213. Only want 1 extra so should be fine. May get the R8239 Power Booster to ensure plenty to run more locos. Elite is too complex and that is why I believe there

are issues with it. True other makes have problems too. But the Select is pretty basic no frills and reliable.

Wouldn't call the Elite over specced, in fact, compared to the market, the Elite is nowhere near the top of range.

I would keep away from the Select - apart from what has been said above, it is not NRMA compliant (Hornby say so) and could give problems

with other brand DCC products. IT doesn't have near as fine loco control and has only a 1 amp power supply v Elite 4 amp (it is possible to buy a 4 amp for it). As above, it has limited CV control so, for example, you can't run a light signal from a PAD as

you cannot adjust the outputs from pulse to continuous operation.

All in all, you'd be going from an adequately specced controller back to little more than an entry level toy.

Being a simple soul, simplicity is bliss, my old Select which I recently sold was good, far better than the dodgy Elite which after all said and done should work straight out of the can. If Hornby can't fix it what hope have i got of making a go of it,

even they admitted there are none out there with up to date firmware. All I wanted was a working controller which it appears can be added to by walkabout version of Select giving me and a mate the chance to use together complete with a couple of pints. Shall

get the power booster module as yime progresses. Thanks to all.

Archived