Unrebuilt Merchant Navy

forester

The point is they were not in "original" condition by the time the word "unrebuilt" was coined. They were originally built with a variety of front ends and cabs and modified several times to reach the condition most of us would think of as the unrebuilt

state.

So if Hornby were to issue a press release announcing an Original Merchant Navy what would you expect to see? 21C1 with a widows peak, naturally :0)

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To me "unrebuilt" means that a loco has not been "rebuilt." I see no problem with that definition. I have just received an unrebuilt Patriot with sound. I know what I mean and I think most of my old trainspotting friends do. To me "original" means

ex-works as first produced.

In truth most locomotive types evolved in service, and the appearance will alter, sometimes only slightly, e.g. added AWS, different boiler fittings etc. others quite significantly. The Merchant Navy class really is an amalgam of three classes each having

detail differences. Same also applies to other popular classes such as the Princess Coronations with significant smokebox (chamfered and full height), and running plate (split and complete) etc. changes between batches and over time.

As to the term

'Unrebuilt', in 1950, when the last new Merchant Navy appeared the term was meaningless. 35001 'Channel Packet' was twice modified in air smoothed form, but by no stretch of the imagination could be said to be rebuilt. In 1956 when Jarvis introduced the rebuilt

locomotive 35018 while the rebuilding of the rest of the class took place the term 'un-rebuilt' could be used legitimately to indicate that some locomotives were still awaiting rebuilding. However by 1960 when 35028 was finally rebuilt the fleet became simply

Merchant Navy pacifics again. The term 'un-rebuilt' could be applied to the air smoothed Light Pacifics up until 1967, because they were to be found in both forms, and arguably still could. In theory those still 'air smoothed' could be 'rebuilt', although

it is now highly unlikely.

That to my mind seems to be the most logical way of referring to it.

• 1 month later...

I agree with your logic.
Unfortunately railway terminology has never been logical in the grammatical sense, largely because historically railway

men considered good grammar to be of little concern. As one CME said: If it doesn't make the engines run better, it's not worth spending time on!
Wasn't it Churchward who used to put Collett down for his fancy language?

So Air-smoothed if you like,

but generations have used Unrebuilt so now we're stuck with it - along with Right-away, Notching-up and many similar horrors.

Sorry teacher, I was looking out of the window watching a Maunsell N1 clattering by with a Hoo Junction to Hither Green mixed goods!

How can a huge

ball of reacting hydrogen 93 million miles away have 'pages'?

If the solar body (as opposed to page 3 heavenly bodies) did have pages, how could you possibly read them over that huge distance? Although, I went to the optician's once and told him I had problems with my long sight. He took me outside, pointed to the

sun and said, "What's that?" Of course, I replied, "The sun." To which he said, "Well, that's 93 million miles away. Just how far do you want to see????????"

• 1 month later...
Just enjoying John Scott-Morgan's book the Original Bulleid Pacifics.
Just a glance at the title leaves no doubt where he stands on the Great Unrebuilt Debate. But he uses Unmodified throughout the book. Isn't that just the same as saying Unrebuilt?
Anyway,

that aside, there is a wealth of pictures and information that I've never seen before. Highly Recommended (no connection with author or publisher).
Could someone please forward a copy to Simon Kohler? ;0)

Archived