Auto Function Control - F28

I've been using F28 to turn on AFC, in order to get the horn sound when moving off and the brake sound when coming to rest. This works very nicely.

I noticed that it was also making other sounds at random intervals, both when moving and at rest. This is a feature of AFC which can be turned on by setting bits in CVs 59-66, but according to the documentation these are off (zero) by default. On inspecting the CVs in the app's CV editor, I noticed that some sounds had been set when the profile was installed. This is probably a useful feature, but it would be helpful to update the documentation to say so.

Incidentally I had to power the decoder down and restart it after zeroing the CVs in order to get the random sounds to stop.

The CV editor in the app is really excellent - it shows the individual bit functions separately in the CVs, to save having to do binary to decimal conversion.

Regards, John

Good isn’t it.

You can set AFC to play random sounds either when stationary or when moving as applicable, E.g guards whistle is a stationary sound and flange squeal is a moving sound.

Tge time interval is adjustable and in theory you can load every sound to play but that would be a tad silly.

As you have noticed a selection of additional representative sounds are loaded by various profiles in addition to the engine, lights and start and stop defaults.

Note also that the Brake button on the control screen is the same ans F27 and the braking rate can be adjusted in CV123 to suit your driving style.

Once set up for a loco these are my go to buttons.

I like the look of this feature. Saw a youtube video from simons shed and he demod it on his A4.

9 times out of 10 ill forget the horn when i move off or brake sound when i stop. Also the brake button is great becasue in a normal controller pressing f27 on my prodigy is at least 4 button presses.