Railmaster cannot see Elite

Hi all, after a couple of months not playing trains, i fired the system up (PC/XP pro with touch screen) intending to setup my new Q1,loco and give it a run. For the life of me Railmaster will not see my Elite, it shows in device manager ok on Com4 and

the Elite will run the trains ok. Railmaster only shows Com1 in the settings window and does not check the other Com ports to look for the Elite.

I have reinstalled the com ports, the Elite and Railmatser with updates to 1.40. Nothing seems to work to

solve the mystery. It all used to work fine, i had some locos set up in groups and my layout set up in the design window with points etc cotrolled from the touch screen. When i started Railmaster it used to look for the Elite and would find it on Com 5. and

the other Com ports would show up in the settings window.

When i started Railmaster up this time it automaticaly downloaded the latest update to 1.4 and installed it so i didnt get to see if it would see the Elite before the update.

Any help would be

good thanks.

My next move is to re build the pc and see what happens, but i would rather solve the mystery and save the hassle of a rebuild.

Cheers Pete

Hi all, my Elite is V1.3 because i tried 1.4 and had problems updating to 1.4 (as did others on here) so i didn't want to risk "bricking it" so reinstalled 1.3. Also with 1.4 it didn't want to programme my R8247 point decoders. I had no problems with 1.3.

Has V1.41 fixed those issues??, if not i'm staying with V1.3 as all was working fine with that. The problem now is suddenly Railmaster cannot see the Elite (after several weeks of non use) as explained in my previous post.

Cheers

There are not issues in 1.3, as far as i am aware, that would lead to the 8247 not being able to be programmed. conversely, there are not solutions in 1.4/1.41 to issues that make the elite "disappear" from your pc visibility.

I think the problem

is something else.

have you tried deleting and reinstalling the elite device on the PC?

I do suggest that you upgrade to 1.41. There have been some issues raised but after discussion with hornby the number of issues raised is very small in proportion

to the number of downloads.

even if something goes wrong I have not yet found a way to brick an elite. the bootload mode has always worked even if I have had a failed download. There will, I am sure, be an exception to this observation but the design

does seem robust.

do let us know how you go.

I agree with Greg - update to 1.41. If you follow the instructions meticulously, starting with booting in update mode, I'm sure you'll find it goes OK. You don't have to install 1.40 first.

Hopefully that will fix your port problem but try RM help

if it's persists. They'll want you to update first if you haven't already.

SailorSam said:

Hi all, after a couple of months not playing trains, i fired the system up (PC/XP pro with touch screen) intending to setup my new Q1,loco and give it a run. For the life of me Railmaster will not see my Elite, it shows in

device manager ok on Com4 and the Elite will run the trains ok. Railmaster only shows Com1 in the settings window and does not check the other Com ports to look for the Elite.
I have reinstalled the com ports, the Elite and Railmatser with updates to 1.40.

Nothing seems to work to solve the mystery. It all used to work fine, i had some locos set up in groups and my layout set up in the design window with points etc cotrolled from the touch screen. When i started Railmaster it used to look for the Elite and would

find it on Com 5. and the other Com ports would show up in the settings window.
When i started Railmaster up this time it automaticaly downloaded the latest update to 1.4 and installed it so i didnt get to see if it would see the Elite before the update.
Any

help would be good thanks.
My next move is to re build the pc and see what happens, but i would rather solve the mystery and save the hassle of a rebuild.

Cheers Pete

Hi Pete, You are describing a problem I thought I had when moving my Elite and laptop between layouts. The setup would work on one layout but not the other. It was very frustrating until I thought of plugging the Elite into the same laptop USB port. Then

all happened as it should!

Obviously if you reinstall the Elite it will assign the appropriate COM port but if you haven't tried all available USB ports, could be worth trying this first. I had assumed that the port would be found automatically as with,

say, a mouse but I was wrong.

Hi JohnS

I tried the other USB ports on the PC but no difference, the PC found the Elite on the other ports and installed it on the ports ok. It seems the PC is seeing the Elite ok but Railmaster cannot see the Elite. Railmaster only shows Com port

1 in the settings window and doesn't look for it on other ports as it used to when i started it. Railmaster would find the Elite on Com5.

Cheers Pete

Archived