ClassA1 loco

John-352989

Hi, bought a new Tt dcc ready loco a few weeks ago. I ran it in half hr in each direction. Then I went to run it one mourning and it runs half a revolution and stops. I then change direction the same thing happens. I tried to take the body off to see if I can see what’s rong ,but it would not come off. I got the back loose but could not get the front to lift the body off. I didn’t want to force it. Could you advise me what to do. Kind regards. John.p

If you’ve ruled out it being a track issue, then if you don’t feel confident trying to open up the locomotive and haven’t got the correct tools, I’d strongly recommend contacting customer services. Given their frequent delay in responding to emails, calling them on Monday +44 (0)1843 233502.would be quickest. They’ll then offer to inspect it if they can’t solve over the phone and you send the locomotive to them. They generally refund postage.

Rob, The maintenance sheet doesn’t mention removing the lubricator mech that keeps the body from coming off. Fishy I think it’s a Dapol tool that fits but I couldn’t locate one locally (3 good model shops that stock N)

This sounds more like an internal issue rather than track. My A4 developed something very similar after a few hours of running, Hornby replaced the whole loco, listing the fault as ‘internal body damage’

My feeling is that it’s connected to the motor mount In which case it’s best speaking to CS on Monday and arrange a return.

If the loco is doing the same revolution each way then 9 times out of 10 it will be a valve gear issue. More often than not one piece is out of timing or slipped and unable to complete a full cycle.

If you can post pictures of each side we might be able to spot something.

Jon .

Yes it's the Dapol N gauge valve gear spanner that fits. This would need to be obtained from DCC supplies or Dapol direct. Maybe peters spares .