Crescent Valley Heritage Railway

Chris98

Yes. I am going to sort the curve issue out on the upper level. My fault as I joined two flexi tracks at wrong part of curve. A short piece of fixed curve inserted at this point should sort the issue. Then onto the problematic point and its surface motor. Once fixed I will use the upper level as a test loop for all my rolling stock before moving onto the bottom level issues ...........next year 😂

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Chris98 said:

I like my layout just not all the issues!

Chris, welcome to my world!  It's worth stepping away for a while and returning re-energised.

I laid my track in Feb and have just had to repair a join where a fishplate had fractured, making one side of the track dead.  I only discovered this after running a loco along that section (stay alive fitted) and then wondering why the loco kept grinding to a halt.  The track is pinned down and ballasted, but I think there was some warping over the summer as the layout location is a garden shed, so hot in summer and cold in winter.  Anyway, using a voltmeter I located the broken join and a spot of solder seems to have worked (so far!).  I've also just discovered what was causing my Duchess class to do a goose wiggle as she went along.  There's always going to be something to fix.  As a newbie I've had to change my attitude to seeing the technical challenges as part of the hobby.  But you have to be in the right mood to deal with them.

• Like 4

Thanks. I am having a break for a short time. On reflection there is not too much wrong at all, one surface motor, insert a piece of curve into some flexitrack and 2 crossovers that are probably an easy fix. it's just that it all happens at the same time. Hornby as always have been brilliant and my Mallard is on her way back to them. I look at this as my first layout and experimental and learning. I would never have thought I could ballast, grass, make trees, paint buildings, make platforms....the list goes on. 

I must be feeling a bit better as I have been looking into block detection and potential future track plans.  😂😂😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Crescent Valley is simply amazing. If mine ends up half as good as yours, I’ll be happy. Be proud of your achievements and enjoy the fruits of your labour. It’s all a learning curve and your next layout will be even better than this one. Thanks for sharing your journey, with all the joy, and the pain. I have learned so much from this forum and I have a lot more to learn. 

Good news, at last.

Only the Duchesses tenders were derailing all other loco's were fine. This was not all that visible with the naked eye.

20240912_150648.thumb.jpg.87a67f95012d69511fd74a2cac44eb0f.jpg

Anyway flexi track cut and short curve section inserted. 

20240912_170218.thumb.jpg.3337138ca596bf375d23113d190df856.jpg

No problem here now 😁

@Chris98, you didn't need to edit your post.  The phrase 'naked eye' is a well known phrase and I would have approved it, in fact it reads better than how it had been posted. (I have put it back in)

Edited by RDS
updated
  • Haha 1

Semaphore signals???

Well, I have watched and read quite a bit about signals and now I am more confused than when I started.

20240917_160950.thumb.jpg.60a9c079eb3f3f7be555e7eaf79e4871.jpg

Anyone know where signals would go on this small section? Traffic drives on left. Top line is main line (continuous loop) with the junction to the top right being a reverse loop. Bottom line is a branch line (bi-directional) where bottom right goes to a station/loco siding area. 

My model rule of thumb is that whenever a point could be set against the direction of travel or where a train may be joining a main line, that is somewhere to think about a signal. I think it’s possible to have too many too, we have to condense our railways down but being strictly prototypical on signalling can get into a confusing mess. Signalling in UK was originally more to do with route setting, across Europe it was a speed thing. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

being strictly prototypical on signalling can get into a confusing mess

Nothing prototypical here 😁 Agree I think I will place them where I think they are needed but not too many as they could take over the layout and look silly. 

• Like 1

Got some professional help. Once they have finished the embankment area they are going to repair my broken points 😂

20240919_194113.thumb.jpg.6ef562fda8badd4c5790032d20777cbf.jpg

Signals, telegraph poles and fencing done. 

20240919_204420.thumb.jpg.970c2536ceee808776c79145dfb0533e.jpg

20240919_203849.thumb.jpg.fef961e8e9a4e141af6ee05f9f4d5623.jpg

Onto the next section soon........

• Like 2