My new DCC train set has stopped working!

Cercot

I have just bought the Mixed Goods set which contains a Diesel Shunter and a Jinty DCC loco. First off it worked fine I followed the manual and managed to program both engines to work with no trouble at all. Then the diesel refused to go into reverse,

I took it back to the shop and got it changed and everything was fine again for about an hour. The second diesel then refused to move and the Jinty kept on going for a little while longer and then that packed in completely. When I turn on the Select controller

that came with the set it shows 12 30 not 11 30 and when I program the engines the red LED flashes 8 times instead of 7. Has any one any ideas, please, before I go back to the shop?

Hi I had the same problem with mine must be a fault with that set.

I phoned Hornby helpline they replaced the set for me and have had no problem since.

the 12 30 is correct that showes the software is up to date.

when the LED flashes 8 times there

is a fault wityh the decoder.

Phone Hornby.

Johnboy.46 said:

Hi I had the same problem with mine must be a fault with that set.
I phoned Hornby helpline they replaced the set for me and have had no problem since.
the 12 30 is correct that showes the software is up to date.
when

the LED flashes 8 times there is a fault wityh the decoder.
Phone Hornby.

Hi, thanks for the reply, but this is the third decoder I have had a problem with as all three loco's have gone wrong, so I think it is back to the shop tomorrow. Its a shame as this set is supposed to be an easy introduction into DCC. Great idea, but

the electronic reliability is not very good.

Yes thanks I have tried everything that the book describes including two factory resets on the controller, I made sure that I did it all on a programming track, as described, and still no joy. I'm a very disappointed train driver. My new layout is now

on hold till I decide whether to remain analogue or continue to pursue digital!

For your new layout I encourage you to continue with DCC.

All sorts of complex layouts are possible with dc but the wiring and operation is, in my opinion, more straightforward with dcc. An added advantage of dcc is that, if it is your interest,

you are able to automate your layout with railmaster or jmri or.... which offer a range of capabilities and complexities.

as the problems with your starter set it is a little unusual. most people have a happy experience with these sets.

another

poster indicates you have a current version of the select software but I do wonder about the decoders. the first dcc starter sets had 8215 decoders that had a number of issues. it might be worth checking this with hcc.

in 5 years with dcc I have had

two problems only.... a problem with the power connector (I think) on the elite and also some 8215s that had a mind of their own. Hornby addressed both issues very well and with a smile.

Thanks for your reply. I have been back to the shop and they eventually changed both engines for me and got it working, so it wasn't a problem with the Select controller (I hope). As this means I have had four changes of engine I also suspect that it is

the decoders that are the problem and that the ones in this set are not up to the job. I have no idea how to find out what the number of the decoders are, but I intend to contact Hornby and see what help they can give me, because as you can imagine, I have

not a lot of confidence in them at the moment and I am just waiting for them to go wrong again.

I am glad that you are getting help on here from experienced modellers and hope all the problems are solved. It is most upsetting when you buy something and find it doesn't live up to your expectations. I bought a VW Passat brand new 3 years ago expecting

a quality motor. Well it is my first and last VW as my 12 year old Rover gave less problems and the dealers knew what they were talking about, unlike VW who have little girls to front the desks with very little knowledge.

the "address 3" comment relates to decoders resetting themselves to default configuration.

This should never happen but in the case of some decoders that were not sufficiently robust to short circuits or similar it can happen. the 8215 mentioned

had this issue.

Archived