Messerschmitt Bf109e-4 Gun Sight scratch build?

Bruce-356690

Hello all. This is my first kit build after having been out of the hobby for 20 plus years. I'm doing the Airfix Messerschmitt Bf109e-4 kit in 1/72 scale. Sadly, when trying to install then gun sight, it went 'ping' and was lost to the ether. I'm sure the dust mites in the carpet are worshipping it. I tried cutting a piece of the clear sprue and carving something close - that, too, went 'ping' - gone...

At this point, I'm torn between just forgetting it, filling in the space for it and calling it a day. The only people looking at it would be me, my wife and maybe a visitor. Unless they know, they wouldn't know - you know? ;) But the 'completionist' in me is having a two year old temper tantrum not having it there.

Anyone have advice on scratch building 1/72nd scale - especially for something this microscopic?

Thank you!

A piece of scrap cut to shape for the lamp housing and a sliver of acetate for the glass. Use white glue to secure the latter. I save clear packaging to use as glazing a) because it's often thinner than clear sheet you can buy and b) because I'm tight.

I've used the clear plastic from the collar of shirt packaging and even used the plastic from food containers often you can cut these with scissors and for something so small it's probably closer to scale thickness than the provided kit parts in 1/72 scale.