Instant Stick Glue. Glue the forever sticky situation on model railway layouts

wapples

G'day or TADA as I like to say, Thanks for taking the time to have a peep at my post.

Like many i have collected a vast array of adhesives for the (youtube) Josef Model Railway & Toy Room. Before I list what i have & use I'am after an almost INSTANT bond glue for some applications. Mostly plastic occasionally some small wood balsa etc

Seeing if there was a something that can quickly bond and hold while i go back with things like PVA & Gorilla (non Foam) and bead for a solid connection.

A great example some uneven retaining walls we will see in an upcoming video needed to be corrected in the back with a couple of paddle pop sticks and needed the sticks to dry immediately as i went to then get them in place.

I have a Bosch Cordless Hot glue gun but never use it I know it has some use for all but not for me, my wife has better success with that and open up any made in PRC luminary and have a look at the bargain basement use of Hot Glue and its just not a winner. Something i can dab on and tada its joined. Something like a LOCTITE 406 but without the price and for that matter without loosing layers of skin if possible ha ha ha.

What i have & use in order of go to product

Helmar Super Tack the pink Bottle

Revell the blue and yellow little bottle for plastic model kits etc

Micro Mark Super tac for placing people and delicate landscape options

Selleys PVA Quick Dry general applications

Mod Podge Matt Usually my base for scenic cement diluted down

Fixitavive Spray with use when layering static grass and locking in some decals etc

Gorilla Clear Super adhesive (CURRENTLY IN USE ON THE RETAINING WALL But complication for clamping makes something to grab it first a better choice

Gorrilla Foaming again not used much anymore big jobs done

Gorrilla Wood Glue mostly as layout base boards was under construction mostly not used much anymore for large scale stuff will see it back in fiddle yard

Sika & various silicone fillers where needed mostly to do with water scenes for sealing

Copydex brought especially into Australia for track laying as per Charlie at Chadwick's advice. Unfortunately debunked some of his madness HA HA nah all good, core track laid cant really see any other use for this JUST YET

Loctite 406 EXPENSIVE and last bottle got bumped in a brand new fridge was sitting in the top shelf lets just NOT DISCUSS that please

All advice well received. I know there is an answer out there, I hear about this ZAP stuff don't know if its much chop. Cheers.

If you want an instant bond, try rubber cement. You paint a layer on both surfaces and let dry. Then, touch the surfaces together. Instant bond as they touch.

A couple of warnings:

1. It isn't terribly strong.

2. NOT permanent. Use another glue elsewhere on the part to achieve permanence. Think of it as an invisible clamp to hold an item in place, while the other glue sets.

3. No adjustments after the parts touch. Its a one and done. If you do not like the position, you will need to separate the surfaces and try again. Fortunately, see warning #1

4. It may peel off the surface it is painted on. It doesn't stick to everything.

But it is the only glue that I know that instantly bonds. Everything else has a set and cure time. For rubber cement, that all occurs BEFORE the parts are in contact.

Bee

I'm familiar with most glues - both traditional and modern - but recently have been using ordinary decorators caulk ( white Soudal ) as an adhesive ? I was filling out rough scenery base layers with cardboard and paper etc and realised how well it functioned as an adhesive rather than a caulk for joints.

Its cheap as chips - dries fast - and has an uncanny ability to stick to anything - inc gloss paint, plastics etc. Its sticky on application - so grabs nicely.

Add to that - when dry - its the consistancy of rubber - and can be cut easily with a knife to rework things. Its exceptionally good for bonding peco track. Holds firm - but releases when needed - and glues cork well.

And - best of all - its £1.60 for a 300ml tube !

GREAT Yes I have used the SOUDAL T-REX Clear for some exterior applications and yes you are right its just what we need but cracking an entire tube open for some bits and bobs its extreme so yes if there is a smaller bottle to explore I will get some and give it a whirl. Thanks again GB & to everyone that took some time to have a peep and my quandary :)

I find that contact adhesive really is instant stick if the parts are individually coated and left to dry off for a few minutes before pressing together. It works on most materials. With polystyrene I sometimes use a dab of contact adhesive to place the items and then bead with solvent for a really secure fix. For outdoor work No More Nails or an equivalent seems to work well enough though may need a clamp or a few screws to prevent movement.