Spitfire Starter Set

null_null981707818191

I just fancied a bit of a relaxing break from old mould, rigging-required builds, so - as intimated in the Latest Acquisitions forum - I dug out a 1/72 Spitfire Mk Ia Starter Set.

forum_image_64a178ee4546c.png.c1a08e7f78a23703c720f327ac30e198.png

But that doesn't mean it's necessarily going to be straight OOB. I've made a start on the cockpit. I've decided that the pilot needed a bit of an upgrade, so I've popped in a PJ Productions version, and I've also added seatbelt harness (made from painted masking tape).

forum_image_64a178f0f15b0.png.6d53e69520ef4518aa820e0a543271f4.png

Just because its a Starter Set doesn't mean it's simply going to get slapped together - I won't be using the supplied paint, for example. But my self-imposed challenge is to see how a bit of a care and attention can produce a satisfying model from a very cheap starting point. And if you're wondering what's happened to the moulded-on gun-sight, I've chopped off the solid plastic 'reflector' element - I'll replace it with something transparent towards the end of the build.

I'm enjoying this already!

Hi Randall
It will indeed be an aircraft as flown from RAF Warmwell. It's going to be UM-V in which P/O Watson was sadly shot down and killed - bit of a tribute really.

It pleases me that the names and deeds of these men are being remembered because of these models.

Where did you source decals for this very specific aircraft?

Randall

Hi Randall

The roundels and fin flashes will be the ones that came with the kit - they are appropriate/accurate for 1940. The code letters (UM-V) and the airframe number (R6597) will be coming from various sheets obtained from Hannants, and I've also ordered a sheet of early-model Spitfire stencils from the same company, as being a starter set, it doesn't have the stencils included (so much for the OOB intention...).

I think building a very specific aircraft is part of the pleasure that I get from modelling. I'm not particularly driven by rivet-counting; I would ascribe to the view that "if it looks right, it's probably OK", but I just enjoy connecting with the narrative and the history.

it is a nice kit to build, looking forward to seeing it finished with all the added bits, I've only built it OOB.

what are the hannants sheet numbers you use for the airframe numbers and code letters as this is something i would like to change in the future

paul

It's time to make a start on the dark green. As usual, it'll be Vallejo 324 BS Dark Green on top of the Dark Earth ((029). Although applied with a brush, I used several thinned coats of dark earth to try to preserve as much surface details as possible.

I've tried to discover whether UM-V should be 'A' camouflage or 'B' - can't really tell from the rather poor monochrome picture that I do have, but I'll make a decision....

forum_image_64ac12939ed75.png.ed99418e7d472447a152887754ebe33e.png