Magazines

NewbieJ

rgmichel said:

walkingthedog said:How old is old rgmichel?I am not sure that is a relevant question. I will observe that those of you who consider any locomotive to be new if it was built after a two-tone green brush type 4 might consider

yourselves old, although I could not possibly comment on my own age.

walkingthedog said: majority remember when diesels were the up and coming thing. Some even the same for steam.
You obviously missed seeing my tongue in cheek when I posted my message. To me it is self-evident that the hobbyist end of the

contributors to this forum are of an age that steam is still the best thing since sliced bread, and that a good fraction of us are likely to have eyesight that is less than optimum to read the exceedingly fine print evident in many of Hornby's publications.

It seems to me to be most inconsiderate of Hornby, given that this segment of the market must be reasonably significant.

I did see your tongue. I'm not a member of the Collectors Club so I have never seen the magazine. I'm pretty sure that most of my model railway has shrunk over the years. I'm sure everything is much smaller.

I've only ever thought the Collectors

Club was for younger members going by the the free loco you get. Obviously I'm wrong. I'll settle for Hornby Magazine, it's gone from strength to strength.

walkingthedog said:thought the Collectors Club was for younger members going by the the free loco you get. Hornby Magazine, ..gone from strength to strength.
Actually, the Collectors club has a nice diesel as a collectors item, at the present,

although that "ring the changes of livery" little 0-4-0 is still extant. Hornby Magazine is in my "good" but not perfect list right now. I won't make a comparison here with another set of options.

rgmichel said:
I just received my Issue 13 of The Collector (Plus) today, together with the 2013 Product Range flyer. I can't read the text in the flyer, so it is not very useful to me. The font is too small. The Collector's fonts are slightly

bigger, but it is still very difficult to read.

There are a number of layout issues with the Collectors Club magazine:
1. Many of the fonts are too small
2. Red ink is often used with captions. The combination of small italicized red fonts

on a coloured background is almost illegible for anyone.
3. There is an evident effort to constrain the magazine to a fixed number of pages. Many articles include photographs that are compressed down to the size of a large postage stamp. A picture of a

room-sized layout in say 3cm x 5cm is silly. Nothing can be clearly made out at such a reduced size.

Archived