Power Clip Wiring

Ian-362096

The amperage delivered is a function of your controller, not the power clip. The power clip should handle ANY modern controller's amperage.

In the off chance that you have something odd, please do tell us what controller (company, model, type, etc) you intend to use.

Once we know the amperage of that your controller produces, we can recommend the minimum wire size.

Charlie, at Chadwick Model Railway, gives an excellent review of the topic and provides you the tools you need to specify the wire size

If you can't be bothered, bigger wire doesn't hurt! So you may use enormous wire with the only penalty being its awkwardness. The amperage capability of a wire will be STAMPED ON THE WIRE.

Start with your controller and work from there.

Bee

In general and in principle, most wires used with DC Analogue controllers for track connection are around 16/0.2mm in size. This size of wire is very similar to 5 Amp flex used on table lamps.

16/0.2mm means 16 strands of individual 0.2mm diameter wire twisted together within a shared common insulation sheath.

It is not the first time a question like this has been asked. The answers given have invariably been very similar to my answer above.

Hornby X8011 terminals can be crimped on the wire ends to facilitate the insertion of the wire into the R602 track clip power connector.

Even 7/.02 equipment wire rated at say 1.4 amps can handle the typical current of a DC loco and train on a track section (let's say maybe 0.5 amps or a bit more if lots of coaches with lights).

I tend to use 16/.02 as my standard just to reduce the voltage drop on longer runs of cable, and in case I choose to run DCC and multiple locos. In fact for my more recent modular system layouts the standard for main bus wiring is specified as 24/.02