DP1 32-520 v 32-523

Bobby B

From the details on Hattons' site, 32-520 is stated to be "as preserved" so I assume the other is depicted as when in service, with minor differences.

As to what makes the Hornby version "stand out" from Bachmann's, Hornby's is still a year away from release so only descriptions can be compared: a metal body and a 21-pin decoder socket.

Looking at the web it appears the Hornby one is in original colours. I assume that it will also have a complete new chassis as their current offering is the Railroad version. Unusual, in that normally their HD models are existing models with a diecast body, this looks like a completely new design. Correct me if I am wrong.

TBH 81F I sincerely hope not!

For the price, and detailing inferred to be applied.

The 37's only a Railroad, single bogie-powered with traction tyres locomotive isn't it?

This should be a 'full fat' 12-wheel-drive (centre mounted motor with twin dogbones into the bogies) locomotive, and I'd hope for separately mounted detailing onto the bogie side frames.

Whether bogies from the new Deltic prototype can be used on a Railways-edition detailed 37 is another matter - probably not required with the excellent super detailed models from Bachmann and Accurascale.

Al.

That is what struck me as weird unless Hornby are thinking of developing a super detailed class 37, but that is a lost cause, the Accurascale one is so good. At Hornby's pricing structure they stand no chance. I am surprised they are going with the Deltic, but I suppose it is in a different colour to the Accurascale ones and is diecast. My class 37 is so good, with the "stay alive" I use it to move locos stuck in tunnels.