Club Model - DCC

PeterMcGowan

Dead easy to chip. There are instructions for 0-4-0 on this site but they say the motor has to be removed and turned over and that is not the case as the motor connectors are up where you can get at them, not down.

Just unsolder red and black wires

from motor connectors and replace with decoder orange and grey. Now connect red and black pickup wires to decoder red and black. QED

Here are my detailed fitting instructions on this forum 8 months ago, step by step as I did it:

In fact, the instructions on fitting the chip itself don't match the 2011 and 2012 locos in detail, even if they are right in the end. The instructions

suggest that the motor is mounted connector side down and there is a connection to only one side pickup. In fact, there is a connection to each pickup - the red capacitor (actually a black inductor) to one as per the instructions, and a black wire to the other

- and the motor is mounted connector side up.

Consequently, you don't have to remove the motor, the assembly can be done with it in place. All that is neceesary to fit the chip is:

- prepare the chip as per the instructions

- unsolder the

black inductor from the motor connection only, leaving the other end connected to the pickup

- unsolder both legs of the yellow capacitor which has one leg soldered to the motor body and discard, leaving the 2nd yellow capacitor in place across the connections

to the motor

- solder the orange chip wire to the left connector and the grey to the right as per the instructions (note - if you solder the orange to the right and the grey to the left, the loco will run backwards on the forward control and forwards on

the backward and you'll have to re-program direction)

- solder the red chip wire to the free end of the black inductor connected to one pickup

- solder the black chip wire to the black wire connected to the other pickup

- now insulate connections,

test run and re-assemble as per instructions

As Dylan's Grandad says, this is a simple installation, not the complicated one described over 25 steps in the 0-4-0 decoder fitting instructions.

Happy I left the capacitor across the motor poliss? But you don't actually need to, you can remove it.

The logic here is simple. A capacitor has high resistance at low frequency and low resistance at high frequency. It is put across the motor to

effectively short out the high frequency hash generated as the brushes make and break contact with the rotating commutator. This ensures no radio frequency interference is generated by the motor and explains why it is there in the first place. But DCC signals

are high frequency too. So the capacitor tends to short them out and can reduce DCC performance across the entire layout. So removing the capacitor may improve DCC performance.

• 3 months later...
Fishmanoz said:

Here are my detailed fitting instructions on this forum 8 months ago, step by step as I did it:

In fact, the instructions on fitting the chip itself don't match the 2011 and 2012 locos in detail, even if they are

right in the end. The instructions suggest that the motor is mounted connector side down and there is a connection to only one side pickup. In fact, there is a connection to each pickup - the red capacitor (actually a black inductor) to one as per the instructions,

and a black wire to the other - and the motor is mounted connector side up.

Consequently, you don't have to remove the motor, the assembly can be done with it in place. All that is neceesary to fit the chip is:

- prepare the chip as per the instructions
-

unsolder the black inductor from the motor connection only, leaving the other end connected to the pickup
- unsolder both legs of the yellow capacitor which has one leg soldered to the motor body and discard, leaving the 2nd yellow capacitor in place across

the connections to the motor
- solder the orange chip wire to the left connector and the grey to the right as per the instructions (note - if you solder the orange to the right and the grey to the left, the loco will run backwards on the forward control

and forwards on the backward and you'll have to re-program direction)
- solder the red chip wire to the free end of the black inductor connected to one pickup
- solder the black chip wire to the black wire connected to the other pickup
- now insulate

connections, test run and re-assemble as per instructions

As Dylan's Grandad says, this is a simple installation, not the complicated one described over 25 steps in the 0-4-0 decoder fitting instructions.

Thanks for these instructions,

just done the chip fitting on my 2013 club model. It works a treat and is a right little flyer.

Thanks again.

Ted_ said:

Thanks for these instructions, just done the chip fitting on my 2013 club model. It works a treat and is a right little flyer.

Thanks again.

ive just read you can do away with the capacitors as they could interfer

with dcc signal is this true.. as if my chips arrive tomorrow i want to fit them....

Archived