P5.5 controller

Robert -372940

Looking on the internet under "Hornby P5.5 controller" images show the top left pair of terminals are the track 12v DC controlled feed, the top right pair give 12v DC uncontrolled (positive on the left) and the bottom pair supply 15v AC uncontrolled.

Reading through a 2015 thread on RMweb, the consensus view was to bin (or recycle) it unless you have had it checked and are absolutely sure it is electrically safe in view of its age and the degradation that can occur to insulation in particular.

Can I emphasise the wisdom of GS' advice. These controllers are great for older locos but when all is said and done they are upwards of 50 years old and age related deterioration of the mains side insulation is a potential cause for concern. Do have it checked by a competent party before use. The casing is metal so regulations and plain common sense require a fuse of appropriate amperage in the mains plug. I have a number of these controllers. One I bought from an auction site looked very clean and tidy but on inspection proved to be an electrocution waiting to happen.

As a retired electronic engineer I absolutely agree with what others have said. In any equipment more than a few decades old containing electrolytic capacitors these will have degraded, as may other components, especially if the equipment has not been used for some time. My advice is to bin it!