Help with new DCC power supply and R406 signal

RozC

Hi, we are newbies when it comes to model railways, we have a new setup that consists so far of a Eastcoast Pullman DCC set (R1097) and track packs C-F.

Today we bought a signal light R406 from modelzone and asked the staff member if the light would

work in a DCC power supply, he seemed to think it would and all accessories are universal.

Of course upon opening it and seeing the connectors we realised it wasn't compatible...at least without buying something else to make it work.

Our question is

this, would it work to strip the wires and insert directly into the dcc power supply or do we really need to buy something else? Any help on this please would be very greatful

You will need an On-On switch such as the Hornby R046.

As I remember, the accessory output of the DCC controller is 15v DC and the Hornby website says the signal is operated by 16v AC.

Forum member Rog (RJ) will be able to tell you if the power supply

is suitable.

Hi Rozc

First of all the power supply provided (1 amp) is used to run the Select command station provided with your set, not the signal directly so don't start trying to adapt connections, etc.

You can run the signal manually as poliss says from

a switch connected to the AUX terminals on your Select, but it will eat into the amount of power that the provided power supply can provide. If you are only running the loco in the set and the signal then it will be OK, but if you add more locos then you may

have to trade up to the more powerfull Elite power supply (4 amps).

This link tells you more about the switch required, which will be on sale in your local model shop - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000H5V0W0/ref=asc_df_B000H5V0W010?smid=ASO47Y7DM7TNK&tag=ciaouk-toys-mp-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B000H5V0W0

Rob

Hi, thanks for your replys, though I'm still confused with this on-on switch R046, it looks to me to have the same connections as the signal, so how would I connect the on-on switch to the DCC controller?

I had a look at the link too, but it just links

to the signal and below is the same switch as previously mentioned..

Hi

You have two choices...

1) Operate the signal via an On-On switch such as the R046 lever or any other switch with On-On function - SPDT Toggle switch etc.

2) Operate the switch from a DCC accessory decoder with one of its output pair of connections

set to continuously on. Note: If you have a Select DCC console you will not be able to do this!

IMO the simplest is to use the On-On switch.

Take one wire from one from one of the terminals of the DCC consoles 15 volt Aux output terminal

directly to the signal. Connect the other end of this wire to the signals Green wire.

From the other 15 v Aux output terminal on the DCC console take a wire to the On-On switches central connection (If you're using the R046 its on the lower wide side).

Take

two wires from the front connections on the R046 or the outer connections on a toggle switch and connect them to the red and Black wires on the signal. Use a three way terminal block to joint the wires if the signal wires are not long enough to reach.

Archived