Which HST models have working fans

ColinB

Does anyone know which HST models have working fans? I read in the Hornby Magazine that some do. I can't find this feature listed under the technical specifications on the Hornby website, but perhaps I am looking at the wrong models. There are are quite a few HST models on sale at the moment and I would like to know if these have working fans as it is a feature I would like to have.

As far as I am aware only the new units produced starting in 2023 have motorized fans. These are the ones with pre-fitted speakers and the coupling attached to the chassis and not the bogie. R30077 the Midland Pullman definitely does.

Prior to this a few HST produced about 12 years ago had working fans driven via a friction coupling to the motor flywheel, R2949 the Arriva XC definitely did. They were not a great success and should really be avoided most people I think removed the little bit of rubber sleeving that drove the fan by resting against the flywheel. The main issues with these

1. They greatly affected the performance of the loco and it ran like a dog
  2. Only the power car had a working fan the dummy did not
  3. The speed of the fan was determined by the speed of the motor so when the loco stopped the fan stopped

I love the idea of the moving fan. My 'Virgin Railways' one does.

I've read those issues mentioned before.

True, speed depends on power car speed, but mine functions without issue. It can crawl, and it is as smooth as any up to a scale top speed - very fast.

Separately powered power and dummy would be ideal, I agree, but I'm happy with my SD model as is.

Al.

I believe the new (? 21-pin) HSTs with motorised fans work well with their HM7K decoder sound profile as the fans react according to throttle and speed.

Edit - F12 invokes roof fans (auto mode), so there is obviously some magic either on the loco main board or in the profile.