Hornby Lord Nelson Motor Needed (Resolved)

Hi there,

I recently acquired one of the 2017 Hornby releases of the Lord Nelson, R3635. However, the motor is sadly quite noisy and annoying, even if it is a smooth runner.

I have tried Hornby to no avail regarding a new motor, and can't find anything from online searches, so I wondered if anyone knew where I could get one from, or had one to send/sell.

Thanks.

Double-ended can motor with flywheels X7296? If the genuine part isn't available maybe another similar Hornby motor would work even if you have to change the flywheels using a worm puller tool?

Alternatively take some measurements of the motor and search for a 12V double-ended can motor of similar dimensions, there's usually some to be found on ebay etc.

Double-ended can motor with flywheels X7296? If the genuine part isn't available maybe another similar Hornby motor would work even if you have to change the flywheels using a worm puller tool?
Alternatively take some measurements of the motor and search for a 12V double-ended can motor of similar dimensions, there's usually some to be found on ebay etc.

Thats the one. I have contacted Hornby again to see if they can help. Yes pulling flywheels off is would would worry me, however I have managed to secure one of the new 9F motors which I read were the same/similar to the B12/S15/Nelly motors. Can easily return that motor if needed.

Its frustrating as the loco is immaculate and runs very smoothly, just noisy. More so forwards then reverse.

You could check the mounting of the motor - is everything aligned correctly?
This could affect how the gears 'mesh' and thus both how it runs, and how much noise it makes.
Worth a try.
Al.

Thanks Al, I will take another look tomorrow when the 9F motor arrives and see what is occurring. If it is the same size as the Nelly motor hopefully that resolves it.

Hello Vicky
How does the motor sound when out of the chassis? To put it differently, how can you be sure it is the motor itself?
Bee

Hi Bee, I am certain its the motor. Its just a growly sound, I've had a Merchant Navy do similar and luckily I was able to source a new motor for that

I have a Merchant Navy that was noisey from new but, also, ran smooth. Turned out to be vibration of the can motor in the assembly it sits in. The addition of a thin slither of cardboard stopped the motor vibration and hence the sound.

I know we should not be having to do things like this on brand new locomotives but I got a good deal (Amazon seller) on it and could not be bothered with the hassle of return & refund etc.

Been a good runner ever since so worth a look if this is the issue.

hornby motors can quite often be noisy - even in new models - the motor may have been sitting around for some time. I recently had a 9f in for a warranty issue - the motor being noisy - but was easily cured with a drop of oil on the spindle bearings - if possible remove the motor from the chassis, apply the oil and rotate the motor by hand a couple of times. Then apply power to the motor and it should quieten down considerably. - nothing to loose if you are looking at replacing it anyway........! good luck ( oh and don't use wd40!! )

Well it looks like this is concluded! Turns out it wasn't the motor as the new 9F motor did not cure the problem. The joint between the worm and motor had broke, ie the little black plastic piece, and I had missed that previous owner had bodged together a metal replacement which was rattling and vibrating, hence the noise.

Ordered the 9F worm drive that included the joint between it and the motor, that small black piece. It fit between the two and the Nelson is now running as it should, nice and quiet and with the new 9F motor inside it.