I think I have broke my Mallard

TaffsTT

Hello all.

Bit of help needed please. I took the body off my Mallard (well tried) in an attempt to retrieve the lost black tape from under front bogie area. First observation / query - does the body just come clear with the 3 screws like it states in manual and is there meant to be a part of the wheel connecting rods connected to body shell? Second observation - can anyone tell me where the spare part belongs and how I fit it back on?

Could someone check their Mallard for me so I can compare?

I have uploaded a YT video of the incident on my channel @TaffsTT120.  YT content link below - "17. I broke my Mallard":

Edited by Taff TT
Added content

That part should be connected between the middle wheel and the back wheel like the other side of the loco.  It looks broken. 

I could be wrong on both parts though.

Edited by Rog RJ
  • Sad 1

'Older' period Gresley locos have an 'oiler' only, which is what this is.

Not sure if TT still requires a 2.5mm hex driver, or is it smaller?  Looks like you need to carefully remove the tiny screw, lift the link off the cam - should be shaped and the hole actually ovalled to orientate it, then the body should be free.

I could be wrong, but perhaps when you tried to lift the body off, with this attached, it misaligned it, so make sure you locate it properly when you replace it.

Once I remove either the oiler, or the speedo drives (late BR steam locos have the speedo drive as well - great fun) I normally replace the screw so the coupling rod doesn't flop about everywhere and/or I don't lose the screw.

State the obvious, but a 'gentle nip' is all that's needed on replacing - these are very easily snapped!!

Hope it helps.  I'm very familiar with the OO version, but this looks very similar.

Al.

• Like 2

Al (Atom) is right and good tip on replacing the screw. Anyone intending home servicing would be advised getting the ‘Nut Spinner’ tool or making one to remove the rod bolts. A4’s have the mechanical lubricator link between body and the motion, A1/A3 doesn’t. There is a pivot between leading and centre driving wheels but this is secured by a saddle bracket attached only to chassis not the body so can be ignored. 
I do think this is something Hornby should assist with as the lubricator linkage is not covered by the service sheet and it’s an easy thing to damage. If the entire linkage is free and not knarled up from motion end, a dab of superglue to attach body end and careful location of the rod onto the shaped cam on the axle should see this fixed. Good luck 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry as I bet the mods and everyone is as fed up with this as me, but found another part now! Anybody know this bit and where from? Its like shedding parts currently.

20240223_113724.jpg

Edited by Taff TT
Added image

9 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

The marks inside the body will probably be finishing after plastic body comes out if mould rather than witness marks from interference. 

@RallymattOn this occassion I dont think so. The "rubbed" plastic is clearly still visible and the front of the bogie also has wear.

20240223_112322.jpg