Class 50 locomotives

Mulsanne88

Finally!!

My class 50 arrived, along with 5 MKII coaches ( 3x Tourist Standard Open, 1 x First Open, 1 x Brake Standard Open) arrived from Rails of Sheffield.  The loco and coaches were very well packaged up.

I have not run the loco on the track yet, I will do this on Friday afternoon.

Fingers are crossed, hoping that there will not be any drive shaft issues!!  the boxes are standby just in case the loco needs a trip back to Sheffield.

i have added a short video of Leviathan and three coaches on my test piece track board.

(ignore the AT-AT in the background 🙂 )

Edited by Stephen-1260829
  • Like 8

Hi, so I just got my BR Blue Class 50 (Decoder fitted) and when it sits on the track idling it makes quite a loud humming sound. The humming gets a little louder when I turn on F0. Is that something happening with all the Class 50 models or do I have a faulty one that I should get replaced?

If you turn the sound off (1) does the humming go away? All locos will hum a bit when the sound is off, with a a DCC loco they are live all the time. As Postie says a video would help to see (hear) if it’s excessive 😁

From that description and clip I would say that’s absolutely fine. If it’s running well then no problem. As I said all DCC locos will hum because they are taking power all the time, the shape of the body shell can make some hum louder than others. My Piko BR 130 with an HM DCC decoder in and the class 50 profile has quite a noticeable rumble with sound off but power on. Runs like a …. Well like a train 😁

Edited by Rallymatt
  • Like 1

On 02/06/2024 at 09:38, 96RAF said:

HM7K decoders can self calibrate if motor control is a tad awry. A simple procedure carried out on a clear track. Ensure F0 (lights) is off as this is the starting gun. Set CV149 to value 0 in the app. Press F0 and the loco will race off at max chat for about 1.5-2m then stop. Job done. CV149 will now show value 2 and the associated motor PID settings will have been adjusted. Your loco should run much better.

Edit to amend CV148 to CV149

Just fitted a Bluetooth decoder to my Class 50. All fine after I got the hang of the app but I now have a noisy loco (no, not the sound file 😄) which slightly wobbles; the noise increases with speed. The CV149 is already set to 2 and I cannot seem to change it to 0 for the above fix. Any ideas. Thanks.

Edited by Renoir
Additional information : the noise is not a hum but rather a slight raspy sound

7 minutes ago, Renoir said:

Just fitted a Bluetooth decoder to my Class 50. All fine after I got the hang of the app but I now have a noisy loco (no, not the sound file 😄) which slightly wobbles; the noise increases with speed. The CV149 is already set to 2 and I cannot seem to change it to 0 for the above fix. Any ideas. Thanks.

Try undoing the 4 mounting screws that fix the chassis to the body, doesn't need much. With both of mine, if they were to tight, it made a noise.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Dodge1965 said:

Try undoing the 4 mounting screws that fix the chassis to the body, doesn't need much. With both of mine, if they were to tight, it made a noise.

Nice one, Dodge...just backed off the four screws by a quarter of a turn and all is in order. Many thanks 😊 

• Like 1

On 01/06/2024 at 20:04, Rallymatt said:

I drive via a traditional DCC system, currently Dynamis but limited function access is a pain. HM DCC decoders are full DCC decoders and the app is like falling off a log with setting up, so so easy. Then flip to DCC and away you go. I really recommend getting 1 decoder and trying it. I love my Zimo decoders too but HM DCC ones are so user friendly. 

Took your advice Matt...very pleased with the outcome and opened up a new world to me. Many thanks for the encouragement.

• Like 1