Midsomer Norton South (TT layout)

Just a little update on the trackplan.

This weekend i tried out a few versions and i think this is the one.

The plan was made with Anyrail and printed in 1:1 scale.

All 3 sidings now have the correct length for the Inglenook shunting puzzle without changing the original station layout too much.

TrackplanMidsomerNorton.thumb.JPG.9de7de94b052c05465a94895fce0517b.JPG

Only 6 wagons are present at this time, need 2 more.

The Inglenook puzzle requires 8 wagons.

Midsomer Norton South has no turnouts for a headshunt so a second loco has to pull the 3 coaches away and free the loco.

This is not how it is done there but i like to do it this way.

P1210193.thumb.JPG.a9e233f1dbbb97d269f6cf6d6736f798.JPG

• Like 6

On wagons, there is a distinct shortage in the Hornby WebShop. The recent offer seems to have cleared out almost everything! 
Did you mean headshunt or run around? Anyway it’s a nice track plan with lots of scope for operational fun. Very typical of small station set ups 😁

I only need 2 more wagons but i'm not in a hurry, have to built my layout first.

The Peco wagons are also nice but they lack the nem pockets for my Dapol Easy Fit couplings.

What i like to do with the shunting is that loco A + 3 coaches enters the station on platform 1 and uncouples.

Loco B pulls the 3 coaches out of platform 1 and reverses to platform 2, uncouples and drives back to one of the spurs.

Loco A goes to platform 2 and can drive off with the coaches for the next trip.

Does anybody knows how this is called in railway terms and is this something prototypical?

Thanks,

André

Use of a pilot loco was fairly common I think, particularly at terminus stations in steam days - Loco B would essentially go off scene in your case to the nearest turntable/depot and then return later facing the other direction to hook up at the rear of your carriages now in the departure lane. 

My shelf layout will operate in much the same way except with diesel traction so no real need to change direction.

• Like 1

@moawkwrd

The Hornby TT class 08 locos are great for shunting, especially with the Dapol Easi Fit couplings.

Hope to show my uncouplers in action soon.

@Stephen-1260829

This way works perfectly for me. The underframe is fixed and the baseboard is removable.

If needed it can easily be turned around or placed on its side.

The baseboard is itself measures 234x60cm and is not to heavy.

@Rallymatt

Like you suggested, the trackplan is placed in your thread.

Nothing new to show on my layout, hope to make time for it this weekend.

My new loco arrived with some new figures (photographers and sitting people).

The photoshoot

P1210201.thumb.JPG.d28fbbca94826b4e566adab9db1cd596.JPG

More to come soon.

• Like 7

Hurray,

First tracks (turnouts) are in place.

I wanted to finish the 5 turnout with the push/pull rods and switches first.

Used this method before on my other layouts and it also works fine with N and 00 gauge.

The parts for this contraption:

SPDT toggle switch (with nylon lever cap) for powering the frog and limitting the travel of the rod

M3 threaded rod, washers and nuts

Nylon M3x15 standoff

Piece of piano wire 0,8mm

M3x8 screw for fixating the piano wire

Bracket made of PVC angle 15,15mm

Some thin copper wire to keep things together

Wooden bead 20mm with 4mm hole, and M3 nut forced in 

P1210210.thumb.JPG.698a2c9f7f645472113850f467410189.JPG

P1210213.thumb.JPG.9cfe763270ec22dc1a222dbef3e43c55.JPG

P1210214.thumb.JPG.7fd9c1f92c59c870b127d6af8e12a039.JPG

Next job to do is the track laying and do some wiring.

• Like 6

@moawkwrd

If only you could see the mess i make when i'm at work here 😃.

The first pieces of flex track are in place.

This is the second time i use this Peco TT track, have to say it's a joy to work with.

And the low profile also looks great, Peco did a great job again with this track.

All remaining tracks will have uncouple magnets under the sleepers so the next job is to make some square holes for the magnets.

On every piece of track are dropper wires soldered on for reliable operation. 

Hope to have all tracks in place coming weekend.

P1210215-2.thumb.JPG.03eaf228b39c86bad567bd7f2a761798.JPG

• Like 5

Nice work Andre. I will be interested to see how you install and use the uncoupling magnets. I think you use the Dapol couplers on your 08 ? Was this just a straight swap or was some fettling required? Thanks.

• Thanks 1

Hi Renoir,

I shall post a few pictures of the uncouple magnets coming weekend.

All rolling stock has NEM355 coupling pockets so it is very easy to fit the Dapol Easi-Shunt couplings.

Dapol used to call these Easi-Shunt and now they're called Easi-Fit 🤔.

The shortest ones will do perfectly on the Hornby TT locos and wagons.

One pair (2A-000-010), 5 pair (2A-000-008). These couplings are a bit expensive but it works like a charm.

You can easily remove the original TT coupling by wiggling it out, it's important to hold the pocket in place with small pliers.

Don't apply to much force on the pocket or you might damage the kinematic coupling mechanism.

P1210225.thumb.JPG.6353b6ba337890f85e24961db59f3f68.JPG

And the wagons are also nicely short coupled.

Buffer to buffer in a R2 curve but no overbuffering detected yet.

Couplings.thumb.JPG.e94aac7025ef18c000f79be4cd0ecab2.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Had to do some gardening today so not much time to spend on the layout.

But there is some progress, the holes for all uncouple magnets are made and that's it🙂.

P1210226.thumb.JPG.9cbf8436115f3d3fca349154e09f9bd2.JPG

Months ago i bought the Eastener set and used the Hornby track for a small oval track for running in locos and testing stuff.

Here i made a Kadee magnet on a kind of hinge to try out the Dapol couplings. The M3 rod goes to the front and with a wooden bead attached to it.

This way the magnet can be used manually.

Don't mind the screws with the double nuts, board was to thin for the screws.

Magnet in idle position.

P1190646.thumb.jpg.68958b69ec3b88fb9c840aa1a5c8e506.jpg

And the magnet in action.

P1190645.thumb.jpg.3e131f55119c0a4bc1a2b4bf2e1ce30b.jpg

A small video of the uncoupling in action.

First part is with a fixed magnet.

This works fine but there are some drawbacks. The wheels are also attracted to the magnet and you have to push the couplings beyond the magnet to couple again.

Second part of the video is with a hinged magnet, this way can make the coupling silky smooth.

Wasn't easy to do with one hand on the controller, one hand rotating the magnet and both eyes on the camera screen (with reading glasses)😀.

• Like 5

The crew is finishing up the holes for the magnets, the health and safety officer will be not amused to see this 😀.P1210234.thumb.JPG.bec9e00f446d23fd729452925729144f.JPG

After the workers left the locals saw there chance for a photo moment, brave people.

P1210236.thumb.JPG.79c529c229a4ba3a65e78a89d31ec903.JPG

Sticked some 10mm double sided transparent tape around the edges of the holes.

P1210237.thumb.JPG.6f82b4feab4cf8344a1505596d9f4f5c.JPG

And now they are covered with some thin pvc foil to prevent the ballasting falling through.

This is very strong, it can even hold the weight of a Land Rover.

P1210238.thumb.JPG.2436c425992cc7e930535fb0ee6a806d.JPG

Next jobs to do:

Mounting the uncouple magnets

Laying the last pieces of track

Finishing the electrics under the baseboard

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

All looking good - though the chap with the pick-axe looks like he would have gone ten rounds with Mike Tyson - some size of hands!!

• Haha 1

And yet another week has gone, time flies.

Never spend so much time on such a small layout before 😀.

All tracks are layed and the wiring is finished to. Time to drive some trains at last.

The uncouple magnets for the Inglenook Shunting Puzzle are not mounted yet.

I wanted to let the trains runs first to check all connections and test the crawling speed of the shunters.

Both shunters now have a small 470uf capacitor soldered on the decoder. 

This improves the running very much, now they keep running without stalling even on the Hornby points.

Here's one of the first tests with a 240uf capacitor, now the larger one is fitted.

Midsomer Norton South Station, the progress so far.

P1210240.thumb.JPG.048aec3092373d49a2f71970a4f62f8f.JPG

P1210242.thumb.JPG.c8045d1e55ab41b57bae1bfe17bc9018.JPG

I forgot to mention this earlier, the DCC command station used on this layout is an Arduino Mega with DCC-EX.

Controlling the locos is done by an app on a old smartphone.

Some people hate this way of driving their trains but i love it.

Built this a year ago and it still works like a charm.

P1210245.thumb.JPG.4f6fa939bf55c081a4ef63d5031b8edb.JPG

My little DIY project

P1190792.thumb.jpg.73691b51768709f2b27229d9cbdb4c7e.jpg

Tomorrow i hope to make a video of the shunters in action.

Depends on the weather, if the sun shines the boss has other things planned for me 😏.

• Like 3

It might be worth pointing out that the Dapol couplings can also be uncoupled manually using the Rix Products uncoupling tool intended for uncoupling Micro-Trains couplers. It's a shaft with a flat pointed end. Put the end between the knuckles, and twist clockwise.

This can/could be obtained from N Scale American Trains in the U.K. Rix Products also do an HO tool but that is quite different in its operation.

• Thanks 1

@D9020 Nimbus

That's way too fiddly for me and my poor eyesight, i'll stick to the magnets 😀.

The weather over here was not great today but perfect for playing with the trains.

Made a video of the shunters doing their job, it was also a good test to see if all was going like planned.

I am very pleased with how things are running over here.

The video takes about 10 minutes to watch and this is just 1 trip from the fiddle yard to the station and back.

Today the class 08 GBRf is used for the rides from Midsomer Norton South to Chilcompton (the SDJR hopes to extend the line in the future).

And the DB Schenker is todays station shunter.

Note the little mistake with one of the turnouts at 8.30 min 😇

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DuTTchy said:

@D9020 Nimbus

That's way too fiddly for me and my poor eyesight, i'll stick to the magnets 😀.

The weather over here was not great today but perfect for playing with the trains.

Made a video of the shunters doing their job, it was also a good test to see if all was going like planned.

I am very pleased with how things are running over here.

The video takes about 10 minutes to watch and this is just 1 trip from the fiddle yard to the station and back.

Today the class 08 GBRf is used for the rides from Midsomer Norton South to Chilcompton (the SDJR hopes to extend the line in the future).

And the DB Schenker is todays station shunter.

Note the little mistake with one of the turnouts at 8.30 min 😇

Strangely hypnotic and calming!! just needs the addition of whale song or rain forest sound track and the blood pressure will lower and a state of calmness  will exist. 🙂