ERA support

Rustyjt

Posted (edited)

Hi, new to this forum so please excuse me if this is old ground. I have started to dabble in TT120 having been everywhere from N to O and via all the various NG branches (sorry!) and must say I am mostly impressed. The option of era 7 scale length passenger trains (that I can actually still see the detail at my age) in B/G was too much to resist. The full set of HST power cars and MK3s was duly put together. My dissapointment is really limited to 2 points. The set-up of the sound and consisting of both power cars has been trying to say the least but impressive now working but more concerning is the lack of visible commitment to sustaining the era liveries already started. It appears the planned 37 for instance is not die to be released in era 7 to matchbthe HST and 50.  Hopefully the 47 will be (and in both standard and LL). I feel if the scale is to thrive, suitable variety of matching liveries should be the aim to begin with. I will soon bore of just an HST for example and will the MK 1s be available in B/G when the 31 arrives to allow typical commuter rakes? While not averse to doing an odd repaint (LMS Full Brake now in blue 1970s parcel fleet) or a quick renumber, I just feel that before committing wholesale to TT120, a sufficient planned variety in matching period livery should be visible.

Edited by Rustyjt
  • Like 2

The range is developing really fast but as Nick says, it takes time and give them a chance. I am surprised you had issues setting sound up on HST, it’s really easy with HM DCC. Consisting isn’t available on the App but if you are using a traditional DCC system you can just consist in the usual way for that system. Class 37 first release livery and versions have not been finalised (they are still a year away) so it’s impossible to say on that. In time I am sure the depth of the range will continue to grow 😁

• Like 1

Consisting is something I am very familiar with (many years of North American N gauge multi loco sets consisting 5 or 6 locos) but the HST persistantly failed to respond on both units in consist, either ignoring lighting changes or sound on 1 only. Both would work perfectly individually but not in consist on DCC. Suddenly and not sure why, it decided to work after one of about a dozen resets! My point was not about the speed or range of releases but rather an integrated plan on compatability of future liveries with what has gone before. I will quickly get tired of looking at desirable locos only available in liveries much later than that of the stock purchased so far. In nearly every detail I think Hornby have nailed it with TT120, just want it to remain appealing.

Posted (edited)

hi @Rustyjt welcome my HST wouldn't go around my bends without coming apart i turned them end for end 

and they were fine ,so what  stock have you purchased so far and what locos and liveries would you need i don't worry about stuff like that i run german locos and british locos on the same layout i run what i like .

some model pre war one and  some 1918 to 1939 some are post war two say up to the end of steam or br blue i myself like 1995 to now if you add in GWR as well sorry if i mist you out TT120 is a broad church we could all say the same thing locos  and a integrated  plan and more liveries GWR .I modelled in n but oo had far more  locos so i went back to it so i model in both TT and oo but they a in the cupboard now as  they cost to much and i love TT120 and all the german rolling stock lol😊

Edited by happy tt
to add an a

10 hours ago, Rustyjt said:

Hi, new to this forum so please excuse me if this is old ground. I have started to dabble in TT120 having been everywhere from N to O and via all the various NG branches (sorry!) and must say I am mostly impressed. The option of era 7 scale length passenger trains (that I can actually still see the detail at my age) in B/G was too much to resist. The full set of HST power cars and MK3s was duly put together. My dissapointment is really limited to 2 points. The set-up of the sound and consisting of both power cars has been trying to say the least but impressive now working but more concerning is the lack of visible commitment to sustaining the era liveries already started. It appears the planned 37 for instance is not die to be released in era 7 to matchbthe HST and 50.  Hopefully the 47 will be (and in both standard and LL). I feel if the scale is to thrive, suitable variety of matching liveries should be the aim to begin with. I will soon bore of just an HST for example and will the MK 1s be available in B/G when the 31 arrives to allow typical commuter rakes? While not averse to doing an odd repaint (LMS Full Brake now in blue 1970s parcel fleet) or a quick renumber, I just feel that before committing wholesale to TT120, a sufficient planned variety in matching period livery should be visible.

Greetings! On the Class 37 front, Hornby has indicated that the liveries are subject to change. The listed liveries are there for reference, but they're likely to be modified by the time of release. Selfishly, as someone who also purchased the HST, I would love a BR Blue Class 37! We've conducted a poll on the Class 37 on this forum, and Era 5 and Era 7 Class 37 variants performed very nicely. 

There's still a lot of murkiness on what they're planning to release. However, something the bodes well is the fact that the Class 37 they used as their design reference is a BR Blue Class 37. You can see the Class 37 and the designer here:

We do know that the head of brand at Hornby has mentioned that they're trying to release rolling stock for the locomotives they release. That is a definite priority for them. So, your point is exactly right!

• Like 2

Some interesting detail in all the above,  thanks. One can live in hope. In the meantime I am content trying a few amateur repaints to something near suitable. Here's my go at making the 50' brake look like it belongs in the 70s. Next stop, a DB 08 back to BR blue as I missed the original and can't find one anywhere. I have the 'victim' on the bench ready to go...

20240512_103352.jpg

• Like 15

On 12/05/2024 at 10:41, Rustyjt said:

Some interesting detail in all the above,  thanks. One can live in hope. In the meantime I am content trying a few amateur repaints to something near suitable. Here's my go at making the 50' brake look like it belongs in the 70s. Next stop, a DB 08 back to BR blue as I missed the original and can't find one anywhere. I have the 'victim' on the bench ready to go...

20240512_103352.jpg

This model repaint looks very good.  I am in awe of your skills and confidence to alter from one to another.  I will have to wait until Hornby bring out the versions that I like from the era.  However, in the meantime I am having fun developing the baseboards, track plans and layout.  It's funny that I didn't want a blue 08, until it was withdrawn from sale!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Stephen-1260829 said:

This model repaint looks very good.  I am in awe of your skills and confidence to alter from one to another.  I will have to wait until Hornby bring out the versions that I like from the era.  However, in the meantime I am having fun developing the baseboards, track plans and layout.  It's funny that I didn't want a blue 08, until it was withdrawn from sale!!!!

Thanks, I was quite pleased with the 08s final look. I don't aim to be 100% precise but more capture the bits and feel that I remember from that time. Finish comes with practice. Lots of cheap kits or auction stuff to have a go on. I only use a cheap airbrush but as long as its cleaned well and quality paint is used all seems OK.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rustyjt said:

Thanks, I was quite pleased with the 08s final look. I don't aim to be 100% precise but more capture the bits and feel that I remember from that time. Finish comes with practice. Lots of cheap kits or auction stuff to have a go on. I only use a cheap airbrush but as long as its cleaned well and quality paint is used all seems OK.

I saw your 08, and to be honest I thought you had gotten one of the BR blue 08s. Imagine my surprise when I realized that it had been a DB 08 originally! Very very good work on that 08. You nailed it! 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Generic Hornby Username said:

I saw your 08, and to be honest I thought you had gotten one of the BR blue 08s. Imagine my surprise when I realized that it had been a DB 08 originally! Very very good work on that 08. You nailed it! 

Thanks!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Moving on with my era 7 plans, now attempting a repaint of MK1s. Generally happy with a little detail improvement to look at, but trying the railtec white lining between the blue/grey but it is proving a real headache. Any tips out there on getting them straight? Since photo, have started on second one with better results adding shorter strips slowly, plus practice, practice, practice. This may take longer for an 8 coach set than I planned!

TT Mk1 repaints.jpg

Edited by Rustyjt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rustyjt said:

Moving on with my era 7 plans, now attempting a repaint of MK1s. Generally happy with a little detail improvement to look at, but trying the railtec white lining between the blue/grey but it is proving a real headache. Any tips out there on getting them straight? Since photo, have started on second one with better results adding shorter strips slowly, plus practice, practice, practice. This may take longer for an 8 coach set than I planned!

TT Mk1 repaints.jpg

You have already worked out to use shorter lengths instead of trying to do it in one long length. I would probably look 5 lengths for this. 

• Thanks 1

I notice you have removed the glazing, I must admit I find liquid mask a lot less stressful. The glazing strips are very well glued in and only seems to result in a lot of cracked pieces and the chassis clips into the slots in the glazing strips. It looks a decent job to me and as you say practice! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

I notice you have removed the glazing, I must admit I find liquid mask a lot less stressful. The glazing strips are very well glued in and only seems to result in a lot of cracked pieces and the chassis clips into the slots in the glazing strips. It looks a decent job to me and as you say practice! 

When I did my green coaches more than half the glazing actually came out in one piece. The ones that didn't went back easily to keep the body locating slots in position but I did use some, a little, Butanon or similar to hold in place.

The problem for me leaving in place would be when it comes to painting the window bars/vents. They are a pain but I could not have maroon vents with green coaches.

• Like 2

Glazing has not really been an issue. 1 side in 3 carrriages snapped into 3 bits but easily fitted back in. With it out you can gently dress the frame colour. Patience is most certainly the key for this. Suspect I will just finish a set when Hornby release thier version.........

TT parcels.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Even worse, just noticed that this side I have missed the windows...aaarghhhh stop everything, cancel all services.....darn it...maybe there's a prototype picture I can find....

Edited by Rustyjt

What this does give me though is a sense of TT120 being a true 'have a go' scale. If you want something you may need to be a bit more prepared to adapt what's available and that is very remeniscant of my early fond memories of railway modelling. Reward from your own efforts, no matter how perfect or not, is a tangible element of the enjoyment of this hobby.

I was thinking the same, paints and transfers waiting, coaches allocated… as soon as I commit, Hornby will release blue/grey MK1 🤣

I agree, the scale requires some imagination and have a go at modelling to get some things now. As you say, it’s like it used to be not that long ago in OO!