A1377 Stug IV

Posted (edited)

After TDA's inspiration and after doing the Panzer IV, the process of build was in mind, so here's the result.  I did things slightly differently to attempt to create some visual interest.  For example, I had read that many crews used a tarpaulin over the mantlet to keep the weather out so added that.  A couple of Jerry cans were added etc.image.thumb.png.6a303bffebbcdb20b21e67e5a4963672.png

Again, this was an enjoyable build.  The aerial mounts supplied with the kit (B28 and B29) were filed down to the flat angle bar and as there are spare H sprues, piece H16 was carefully cut to replace the moulded aerial "stump" and drilled with a 0.7mm bit and glued on and aerial inserted.  The Jerry can strap was made out of the metallic foil from a drinks bottle.  Just noticed a shine on side decal posting this so that'll be knocked back with another matt varnish!

image.thumb.png.af54a9f7c94865bf240485f20e6dc783.png

Many years ago I contaminated a bottle of decal fix, best thing I ever done!  The tarpaulin was made from tissue suitably soaked in a colour and then drenched with the Decal fix and applied to top of mantlet, arranged into folds etc. and given another drenching with Decal fix.

image.thumb.png.e680365d8f54c0a6aa405a85a4d858cb.png

Photographs vary on the skirts having an angled front piece and some not so thought I'd go with the not angled front.  As TDA and I found out mounting for it is not included in the kit instructions, so the pilot locations need to be filled and determine new positions to mount the brackets.

Andy

Edited by Topcat_Ern
  • Like 2

Brilliant! Andy

I love the addition of the tarpaulin. Since having a play with my Cromwell tank, I’ve been thinking of adding some camouflage netting to mine.

I love the fact that when working on AFVs there are so many more modifications one can make. 

• Thanks 1