Powering a large layout with Elite

BobStan

Hi guys

Wonder if anyone may advice me

I'm planning a layout which will probably have around 100 to 120 meters of track and maybe up to around 12 locos ( maybe 4 or 5 operating per time )

Although I will fit an under board feed wire with droppers,

do you know if the Elite will deliver enough power or will I need to have supplemental power supply ?

Thanks for any help

The Elite will power virtually any size of layout. The limiting factor is the number of locos that will be running and the Elite can power upto 10 modern models. Older locos will take more power and you may be limited to maybe 4 or 5.

For a large

layout you will need to fit a bus main and droppers. A bus main is a heavy duty pair of wires under the baseboard to carry the power to all parts of the track so that you aren't relying on the rails and fishplates to carry all the current and to overcome the

resistance. Lighter wires are attached to the bus main and soldered to the rails, preferably to each and every piece of track for the utmost reliability.

Breaking the layout into sections powered by boosters is a useful way of ensuring that the whole

layout doesn't shut down if there is a short circuit in one section and also allows for more locos to be run at the same time.

Have a look at this site http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/DCC.htm

Hi

Your Elite will power the whole layout with its 3.0Amps to track output. But by sectioning it and using either a DCC Booster to feed a section or alternatively use electronic overload cut out devices to protect a section (not a Hornby product!) you

can prevent total power shut down if and when a short circuit does occur.

Note, when making 'sections' sometimes referred to as 'Zones' or 'Power Districts' you MUST fit insulated rail joiners (IRJs) to all rails leading into and all those leading out of

the section and use a separate feed bus pair of wires which are taken from the Output of the Booster or the cut-out device, not the main bus pair of wires.

If your DCC power bus wires are of ample wire size then the Elite will happily control the whole

layout without anything else. But be warned then about the short and shut down issues.

On a layout of the size you're considering I would be using 2.5mm solid wire or 50/0.2mm flexible wire for the power bus wires. Then use 32/0.2mm wires for the short

distance from the Elites Track terminals to the connection place onto the bus wires, as you probably wont get 50/02mm wire into the Elites terminals?

Thanks for the replies gents

Just a bit confused about splitting the layout into Zones

If that means for instance I have 3 separately powered Zones ( 1 from the Elite and 2 from other sources )

How do the 2 other zones pick up DCC signals from

the Elite ?

Bob

BobStan said:

If that means for instance I have 3 separately powered Zones ( 1 from the Elite and 2 from other sources )
How do the 2 other zones

pick up DCC signals from the Elite ?
Bob

Hi Bob
If you use a Hornby Booster it has its own dedicated power supply plus it connects to the DCC console powered bus or rails or via a special Xpressnet data cable directly to the Elites XpressNet

port.

Thanks flashbang your so helpfull I will try why you sujest

Cheers

Bob

Flashbang said:

BobStan said:

If that means for instance

I have 3 separately powered Zones ( 1 from the Elite and 2 from other sources )

How do the 2 other zones pick up DCC signals from the Elite ?

Bob

Hi Bob

If you use a Hornby Booster it has its own dedicated power supply plus it connects to the DCC

console powered bus or rails or via a special Xpressnet data cable directly to the Elites XpressNet port.

captaincookie said:

Just reading the post, don't forget the elite has its own booster built in, so if you wanted 3 zones you should be able to use that as 1, the elite itself for 1, and then you need 1 more, unless my understanding of

the elite's boster is incorrect.

Ian

Yes you do have it slightly confused.
The booster in the Elite provides the power to the track connected to the "Track" connections on the rear of the Elite. So, using your example, for 3

zones you would need the Elite and 2 additional boosters

Hi

You can connect as many Boosters as you like. There is no limit!

Each booster powers its own totally isolated rails (Isolated from all other feeds).

The Hornby Booster takes its data in one of two options. Connection to the DCC bus or rails

fed by the main console (e.g an Elite) or by a special data cable connecting to the XpressNet socket. The Hornby Booster has two XpressNet sockets - Input and an output socket which goes to the next booster as needed.

Note; a Booster does not increase

the power output of the main DCC console e.g. 3.0Amp for the Elite. It simply powers a section of track(s) and these are powered from a totally separate power supply, its just the data feed that's connected to the main DCC console.

Hi Bobstan

I have a large loft layout that must be approaching 100 metres of track at least and have over 20 lococs with up to 5 or 6 running at any one time.

I have the Select connected to the Elite running of the Elite 4amp power supply.For

several years I have run it without any additional wiring/boosters/sections/bus stops etc(did not know what they meant when I started out ) ,just two wire from the Elite to the track and it works quite well.So if your eletrical knowlegde like mine is not that

good then you do not need any extra wiring at all.

The only downside is if a loco shorts out then all the locos stop.

It is only recently that I have started to wire in the 50 points that whilst under the baseboards I have started to add some "bus

stop" wiring in to the furthest sidings but to be honest I have not noticed any difference.I clean the track on a regular basis and when I have checked the voltage to all the track and sidings it nearly always is constant.If a small area of track becomes "dead"

then a quick clean is usually enough to suffice.

I started my ambitious layout with no prior knowledge and the Elite and DCC has been excellent for me its its simplicity as you do not have to add extra wiring if you do not want/need to

good luck

Hi Bunsen

Oh that is so reassuring thank you

Hmm I do have little knowledge in the electric side too but am very methodical and critical about cleanliness and bits like fish plates been a tight fit etc

So hopefully I'm in with a chance

Bob

Bunsen

said:

Hi Bobstan

I have a large loft layout that must be approaching 100 metres of track at least and have over 20 lococs with up to 5 or 6 running at any one time.

I have the Select connected to the Elite running of the Elite 4amp power

supply.For several years I have run it without any additional wiring/boosters/sections/bus stops etc(did not know what they meant when I started out ) ,just two wire from the Elite to the track and it works quite well.So if your eletrical knowlegde like mine

is not that good then you do not need any extra wiring at all.

The only downside is if a loco shorts out then all the locos stop.

It is only recently that I have started to wire in the 50 points that whilst under the baseboards I have started to

add some "bus stop" wiring in to the furthest sidings but to be honest I have not noticed any difference.I clean the track on a regular basis and when I have checked the voltage to all the track and sidings it nearly always is constant.If a small area of track

becomes "dead" then a quick clean is usually enough to suffice.

I started my ambitious layout with no prior knowledge and the Elite and DCC has been excellent for me its its simplicity as you do not have to add extra wiring if you do not want/need to

good

luck

From what I can understand the physical size of the layout does not load the power supply - subject to good feeders - and the benefits of a booster could be:-

1. simultaneous operation (movement) of more than 4-5 locos (note a booster only helps

of the locos are distributed across the power regions)

2. protection of one part of a layout from faults on another part.

Do others see any more benefits?

• 2 weeks later...

This thread has come at a good time for me and has been quite informative. I am planning an 8x8 foot layout with four or five circuits tops and maybe only three. There will a lot of engines on track though not all running at the same time! So, if I wire

up the Elite with three boosters, say, one for each circuit on a four circuit layout (forget overkill for the moment as this is just a query), does that mean if one short occurs on one circuit the other three will operate as normal and just carry on? If there

are crossovers involved where the short is does that proclude any engine using the crossover if the short is on a circuit using it or can that engine use the crossover?

Thanks everyone for a helpful debate.

I also have four circuits around the loft, maybe 10x6foot.

I have a select and find the trains are running quite slow.

Will simply switching from a Select to an Elite improve matters?

I don't fancy soldering

at this point as not sure how my layout will change once scenery is considered etc.

Also do stationery DCC locos reduce the power considerably or just moving locos?

I don't fancy soldering

at this point as not sure how my layout will change once scenery is considered etc.

Also do stationery DCC locos reduce the power considerably or just moving locos?

dd123 said:

I

don't fancy soldering at this point as not sure how my layout will change once scenery is considered etc.

Switching from a Select to an Elite (assuming the

basic 1.0Amp power unit is being used) will increase track current available from 1.0 to 3.0Amp. However this shouldn't make any discernible difference. The immediate and noticeable differences will be the increased address number range available up to 9999

from 59, increased Function numbers available up form 9 to 28 and the ability to both read and write CVs values.
The additional current to track available will allow more locos to be run at once. But keeping track of them is the main issue, if PC control

is not being used!

A station non sound loco will consume around 15 to 25 milliamp. But if it has its lights on or sounds on then that will of course increase. See this reply I recently posted.... https://www.hornby.com/forums/hornby-forums/hornby-digital/3830/?page=1#post43460

Wiring

the layout with a reasonable large wire sized DCC Bus pair of wires and connecting smaller Dropper wires to as many sections of rails will help both power and data transfer around the layout, rather than relying on the metal rail joiners and point clips! Bus

wire of 32/0.2mm Equipment wire is one of the most commonly used sizes, with droppers of 16/0.2mm. Larger bus wires sizes can be used without harm but smaller wire sizes should really be avoided.

Graskie said:

I wouldn't have thought that you need even consider boosters, AC. My layout is about 10 and a half by seven feet, I have four main lines plus a load of sound locos standing around and have no problem with just the Elite on its

own.

Thanks for your reply Graskie. I had often wondered about how big a layout you could actually stretch to with the Elite and it seems one can go fairly large without the real need to boost everything. Oh I know about single failure etc (believe

me, building servers etc forces you to know!) but I'm not too fussed about that. Safety first as they say... :-)

Besides, the cost of the boosters is high and three would be a tad costly. I appreciate your answer and will go with just the Elite running

from a laptop etc...

Archived