A1359 Tiger I 'Mid Version'

Next Tiger build.  This one requires Zimmerit, so time to bite the bullet and attempt my first ever application.  The kit goes together without to many issues, apart from the turret needs the plasticard shims again to stop it slopping about.  There are omissions in the instructions for parts B20, B21, B22 and B23 as these pieces are essential.  Headlight mounts and grenade launcher mounts need removing   Elastic band tracks unfortunately, as previous build had individual links, much more fun!  And I'm not sure of the figure in the kit, he looks a strange fellow to me.

On to the zimmerit, there is a little PE tool in the kit.  Had a few practises with that and didn't have a clue how to get the pattern!  Binned.  On Thingiverse there is a little wheel akin to a cog for zimmerit so I 3D printed that and used it.  The trick is to keep tools wetted so avoid the putty sticking to them.

Of the three fillers I had I settled on Squadron's Green putty as it retained the pattern nicely.

image.thumb.jpeg.eaa456a33dee1555a202260219c0b3a1.jpeg

I PVA'd the plastic track guards to get a nice straight line and of course they came off easily.  I did notice on images that the zimmerit was damaged on vehicles so didn't worry when little bits came away.

image.thumb.png.d9e2b22a5f65d4ada82900c3b17dc2c2.png

Now I have to see how the zimmerit looks when the paint goes on, fingers crossed.  If it does, I'm going to be zimmeritting everything (that requires it) without stressing.  I decided to go for full metal track guards on this build and sculpt when finishing.

Andy

Wow ... never knew about Zimmerit before so I just looked it up. Must say you've done a grand job representing it.

Every day's a school day 🙂

Ian

Edited by Valhalla
  • Thanks 1

And finished, kept weathering to a bare minimum as I wanted my first zimmerit to be visible.  Only dark wash into troughs and dry brushing of the peaks of the pattern.  I did go with the kit supplied "funny looking fellow" and hopefully he doesn't look 7ft 6in with a squashed head poking out of a hatch.  

image.thumb.jpeg.f3c649f8085d9e4aeba78c6fc3723897.jpeg

In the flesh the awkward constructing barrel looks fine, but in photo form it looks droopy, so will have to rework that (disappointing).  Some Extra Thin will loosen the bond nicely to reseat.

image.thumb.jpeg.a954906d12324ca6c9fa09529d35d1c6.jpeg

So, another technique learnt and hopefully improving build by build.  The kit instructions suggested 333 would have a winter white wash, but discounted that as I didn't think that it would be interesting enough. And I need to rework (remove) mud blob on second road wheel.

Andy

• Like 4