1/72 MiG-17 A03092

Nerazzurri

My latest completion.

IMG_20240622_1957306472.thumb.jpg.1cc206638c7a67d8702a1945d04be1b4.jpgIMG_20240622_195741832_HDR2.thumb.jpg.8ef86bc85662dc9f6271fbae3f1be2ea.jpgIMG_20240622_195825246_HDR2.thumb.jpg.e13de37c7dab60d3344b3ded630bd0dd.jpgIMG_20240622_2022293542.thumb.jpg.01db211fa3681c0df52e9531932e800d.jpg

Built from the Airfix PZL LiM-5 kit. Really enjoyed this kit. And although the aircraft appealed to me enough to build one, I like it even more afterwards - I can see at least one more in the future, probably in the intended boxed schemes.

There's not much room to add weight in the intended place, so I'd urge anyone building it to fit it in anywhere possible. I've got it glued all around the cockpit tub and in the air intakes.

Something I wish I'd done, in hindsight - if you're modelling the air brakes in the closed position, omit the internal exhaust structure, just fit the afterburner.........it's only extra tail weight that you don't see!

Another be aware is the underside double clear part, it's a really bad fit, and has the potential to detach and rattle inside! I fitted it kind of proud inside as more of a backing, and filled the cavities with Clearfix instead.

Definitely a recommended kit if you don't have one already.

Gavin.

Edit: kit detail.

Edited by Nerazzurri
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Dominic Thomas said:

If you can comment, how does it compare with the Airfix version?

Thanks Dominic.

Sorry, maybe what I said is a bit ambiguous 🙈 it's the Airfix PZL Lim-5 kit, the polish licence built MiG-17. The box comes with schemes for a Polish built airframe and an East German one. I just fancied a silver one! So I got some aftermarket decals for a Soviet version - I believe there was no perceptible differences between the airframes.

I do like the silver, but it's more 'silvery' than I intended. I think soviet jets were natural metal covered with an aluminium powder lacquer which took away the shine. But I'm still happy to see it on the shelf.

Have a good weekend. Gavin.

36 minutes ago, Dominic Thomas said:

It was my mistake. Somehow I missed that you said it was the Airfix kit. 

Maybe not Dominic, I edited it after your comment to be fair 👍

10 minutes ago, Grumps123 said:

I like your silver finish👍built one of the old tool MIG-17s when I was a child, needless to say yours turned out much better.

Maybe, but you can't top memories that we have of our builds from those ages Grumps. Different times, different expectations of what we were doing, and different satisfaction from what we built 🏆

• Like 2

Good job. The Mig 17 is a purposeful looking aircraft that looks neat in a silver finish. It's one of those models that is tempting to make multiple times because of the large number of operators. It was used by so many obscure air forces it can probably be painted in any cammo colours a kit builder can think of. I understand that the North Koreans still use them, although I'd think twice before taking a lift in one of theirs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jopres57 said:

Good job. The Mig 17 is a purposeful looking aircraft that looks neat in a silver finish. It's one of those models that is tempting to make multiple times because of the large number of operators. It was used by so many obscure air forces it can probably be painted in any cammo colours a kit builder can think of. 

Thanks jopres. Yes, an export success over the years, like the MiG-21. You could probably spend a lifetime modelling them both!

23 minutes ago, Matthias Muth said:

It is a very nicely build, congratulation.

I had build it OOB, you can find it also here in the forum.

Yes, the weigt was the biggest problem.

Thanks Matthias. Oh, I'll definitely check yours out, see what scheme you did. It needed so much weight I was a bit concerned for the undercarriage - I let the cement cure for 3 days before i stood it on it's wheels 😁

2 hours ago, Matthias Muth said:

Here is the link:

Matthias

aka modelldoc

There does seem to be a lot of duplicate posts of the same subject on the forum. It could be an idea to have a prompt to anything similar when generating a title for a new post. Users could then have an option to create something new or add to what's already been started without doing a long search.

9 hours ago, jopres57 said:

There does seem to be a lot of duplicate posts of the same subject on the forum. It could be an idea to have a prompt to anything similar when generating a title for a new post. Users could then have an option to create something new or add to what's already been started without doing a long search.

On the Airfix Tribute Forum we keep all the same models in one thread, but it means that the contributors must post in the right place. I think it would be a lot of work to do here.

• Like 1