A1364 Tiger 1 'Late Version'

The fourth of the five Airfix Tigers to roll onto the workbench.  This one has the steel wheels so easier workstream as don't have to treat road wheels separately and can be sprayed in situ.  Another opportunity to zimmerit.  My first step is to mask off the areas that will be bare metal.  I use painter's blue tape as it is low tack so easy to remove and doesn't leave any residue behind when removed.

image.thumb.jpeg.6b589354a50398757c9ae12c421f1e0f.jpeg

None of the road wheels are glued, only push fit on the poly caps as they need to come off for the track fitting later on in the build.

image.thumb.jpeg.edaa56efef3c8da02e516c52c18161be.jpeg

Squadron Green Putty used on hull and zimmerit pattern applied.

image.thumb.jpeg.aaddf3a8e586eaa0edeae026260e251b.jpeg

Tube ran out before doing turret.  No more to order, not sold in the UK anymore.  So, Humbrol Filler had to be used on the Turret.  Side mud guards added too.

image.thumb.jpeg.ff801cad65a607a9f9aa65941cc32428.jpeg

The Humbrol filler wasn't too bad, adhesion to the plastic wasn't as good as Squadron, but I did find out later that it was easier to airbrush as Squadron took many passes to obliterate the green!  Left a few 'bald patches' as it did come off in the field.

image.thumb.jpeg.e62051e89cdfafcacbdb0642697e88eb.jpeg

The tow ropes are cotton thread on this build rather than the plastic part.  As with the Mid Version, the multi part gun barrel is an absolute nightmare to get straight, took an eon to get that right.

Andy

Painted, decaled and time for the tracks to be applied.  Went for Scheme B, instead of H160, used Vallejo Chocolate Brown.  Outer most road wheels removed to allow for easier fitting.  Now glued to get correct track sag and will have to leave for many hours before doing the other side.image.thumb.jpeg.654e5946c173b1df71bb6244f51ed1ac.jpeg

Andy

• Like 3

Both tracks sagged and set and for rubber tracks they behaved themselves nicely.  The lightest of weathering, basically a bit of chipping and a wash for highlighting as again did not want to detract from a zimmerit application.  Think I did better on this coating, I'm glad that I attempted it on these kits as it does add another level and more interest.

The turret actually fits on this one so no need for the plasticard shims here.  I refrained from utilising the 'funny looking fellow' included in the kit this time.

image.thumb.jpeg.28a40c0fa98e8e980fd587170be6805b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e267f6d382de8b347ba562bc2724eda9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.05c748bc21e6273236432ee1d153a2c8.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6a45e8175faff1b45ccbeb29c60c9cd3.jpeg

Only one more Airfix 1/35 Tiger 1 to do now and I'm really looking forward to that one as it has full internal details (A1363).

Andy

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Tour de Airfix said:

Andy, what do you use to apply the Zimmerit pattern into the filler etc? 

I need to give this a try. 

Jonathan. 

Sorry Andy, I’m reading your posts out of order 🤦‍♂️ Just learned how you went about it from your Mid Version Tiger build. 

I’ve got the Early Version in my stash which I guess doesn’t have the tool, so will have to seek an alternative one out. 

I’m off to the Westland Helicopter Museum Scale Model Show at the weekend so will add this to the list.

Great building 👍

Jonathan

• Thanks 1