Hornby R3335 LSWR 4-4-2 Adams

Dukedog.

I don't have the Hornby version but do have the OR one. As Steve says, space is very tight. However, on watching a Jenny Kirk video I discovered that if you remove the coal and the floor in the bunker you can actually insert a decoder, (direct or harnessed) without even removing the body. And there is more space. Whether that is possible with the Hornby one I don't know.

There must be room I did mine and I found those direct plug in ones give other issues, so I don't use them. I think I used a Zimo MX616 with an 8 pin plug on, I know on the Oxford one the coal load comes out and there is room. Do you know I mailed Oxford and asked them how to fit it and they didn't mention the coal load (I suspect the guy who designed it had moved on). I will see see exactly how I did it. Sometimes, don't you wish you took some photos.

• Thanks 1

Not that I am going to do it, but this seems an ideal candidate for a next18 socket. So remove the 8 pin socket and replace it with an aftermarket next18 socket. Alternatively I think fitting a six pin socket and a direct fit Zimo MX616 (only because I know it works) decoder. Anyway it is possible with the 8 pin. I think the Hornby 8 bit decoder has too much wire for it to fit.