Removing small parts from sprue

Could anyone please advise me of the best way to remove the part in the attached photo from the spruce.I’ve not got a good record of removing parts like this and invariably break them

thanks in advance Dale

IMG_0214.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Much the same as Andy says but I would use cutters to remove the part from the frame taking some of the sprue with it (makes it easier to handle) and then use a new scalpel blade to carefully cut through the gate. Two end ones first and then the side ones.

Ian

Edited by Valhalla
  • Like 1

I use a sharp knife and sort of saw through the sprue not too close to the part and don't put too much pressure on it, i usually put my finger over the part to stop it shooting off, my problem is after I've trimmed it and are sanding those final bits to make it look right is when i brake them.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, paul71 said:

I use a sharp knife and sort of saw through the sprue not too close to the part and don't put too much pressure on it, i usually put my finger over the part to stop it shooting off, my problem is after I've trimmed it and are sanding those final bits to make it look right is when i brake them.

If you want to know what to do AFTER you break a part, I am well qualified to give that advice.

Randall

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, SD45elect2000 said:

If you want to know what to do AFTER you break a part, I am well qualified to give that advice.

my latest one was the mast on the Me109 its a little bit shorter than it should be but i got away with that one i think, i do have a few doner kits now but if i ever get stuck i will ask you are good at making new parts.

• Like 1

I find a fine razor saw or micro saw gives me the best chance of removing delicate parts without breakage. If you go down the micro saw route you will need a Swann-Morton handle. Airwaves (from Hannants) do a range of PE saws.

DSC_0219.JPG.b091fadc3a6f6fa82028ecd7409993da.JPG

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Nerazzurri said:

@peebeep what's the brand of the one on the Swann Morton please? I like that. Is that from Hannant's?

Gavin.

Don't know about Hannants but you can get them from Scale Model Shop

Saw Set No.1 for Scalpel Handle Modelcraft PKN0008

Ian

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Nerazzurri said:

@peebeep what's the brand of the one on the Swann Morton please? I like that. Is that from Hannant's?

It's from an Airwaves set, they do several and you can find them on the Hannants web pages, but as Ian points out there are others that you can get. I would urge every modeller to get one of the wooden handle saws, the original brand was from Radu Brinzan, but there are various others available.

• Like 1