Track spacing

What trackwork are you using?  Hornby?  Peco? Something else?    Sectional track systems will have a track spacing designed into them, and the spacing tends to be wider than prototypical  so that on tight curves there's enough clearance for long rolling stock to pass each other.   For example Hornby 00 seems to be 67mm spacing (centreline to centreline) if you look at the specifications for the curves.  Peco Streamline pointwork I would expect to create a narrower spacing than their Setrack range, as Streamline is designed for use with flexi track and wider flowing curves. 

Edited by ntpntpntp

OK so most will be peco flexi  and points ect will be peco streamline where possible, have done my lay out plan in any rail it looked wrong at 67mm  so the planes i have put up may need updating.

Just remember to consider the curves:  If they are tight then you may need to ease out the spacing with transition curves as you enter and exit the curve.   

Sometimes some trial and error testing is worth doing before you actually commit the track to the board. 

6 minutes ago, ntpntpntp said:

Sometimes some trial and error testing is worth doing before you actually commit the track to the board. 

"No plan survives contact with the enemy"  - Helmut von Moltke. 

Apparently the only person born in the 1700s to have his voice recorded.  

https://youtu.be/1BBkFacaBHY?si=DPXDdQm2Jj911AlS

Hi Dukedog

I absolutely second NTP's recommendation.

"Chance favors the prepared mind" - Louis Pasteur

Get the plan right.  Make sure everything is just so, on paper.  The wiring, the kit, everything.  Have a complete and accurate track plan. 

And then trial it.  

Bee

• Like 1

67mm is the standard for hornby track; I also have a couple of tracks at 128mm for loops with a station platform in between them, though this does look too big. Plan's don't always work, Pictures look good, but the reality of what you need/want to do is different to the plan. put some track out and see if its possible. XYZ

• Like 2