Airfix A50192 D-Day fighters Set - missing sprue

Captain.Glumbo

Hi folks, this a warning for anybody with this kit in their stash. 

This is a gift set consisting of 5 aircraft:

A02065 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc

A01004 North American P-51D Mustang

A02029 Messerschmitt Bf109G-6

A02109 Hawker Tempest Mk.V

A01020 Focke-Wulf Fw190A-8

along with paints, brushes and cement.

I've almost finished the two German planes FW108A-8 and Me109G), they just need decals and finishing off.  I'm now onto the P-51 Mustang and it contains 2x Sprue A instead of 1x sprue A, and 1x sprue B.  I've emailed customer service over at Airfix asking for a replacement sprue - hopefully they'll be able to.

Just thought I'd give a heads up to anybody else who ordered the gift set and hasn't started to check the contents.  I've checked the Spitfire and Tempest in the kit and they appear complete.

Also to note that the instructions for the Fw109A-8 reference Sprue E which is not contained in the kit.  On research this, this was an additional sprue for the E-8 model and the parts the instructions reference are actually on the contained sprues.  These four referenced pieces were for the wing mounted guns.  The included had all four guns but the instructions and the picture on the box showed a gun on each wing removed, so I just clipped them off before attaching what the instructions depicted.

Hope it helps someone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This set was £50 in Hamleys in Regent Street today. Not bad for 5 kits. The same mistake with duplicated Mustang sprues happened to me, 50 odd years ago. 

Hamleys' prices are very good, generally the same as the website except they have more stock. They have the SRN1 in abundance which is sold out in the AFX shop.

Edited by john redman

On 01/08/2024 at 08:52, Captain.Glumbo said:

Hi folks, this a warning for anybody with this kit in their stash. 

Thanks for the heads up 👍

This raises a potential issue for all of us that have an extensive stash; the fact that we may be sitting on an incomplete kit which over time will become discontinued and no replacement parts may be available. 

Do folk check their kits after purchase or leave them sealed?  I certainly do the latter, just so that I can enjoy the thrill of breaking that seal when I come to build it … and perhaps the trepidation of whether all the parts will be there 🤔😉

• Like 1

On 07/08/2024 at 05:54, Tour de Airfix said:

Do folk check their kits after purchase or leave them sealed?  I certainly do the latter, just so that I can enjoy the thrill of breaking that seal when I come to build it … and perhaps the trepidation of whether all the parts will be there 🤔😉

Nah, I like to get a surprise when I open the kit LOL! 

It does make me think I should though. 

• Haha 1