Hudson (MPM / Revell) 1/72

Dominic Thomas

I had wanted to build this for sometime as it offered more internal detail than the Airfix version. However, it did take me sometime to build it. The fit in some places was less than ideal - nose table and undercarriage doors to name but two. 
Anyway, here it is in the markings of 224 Sqn at RAF Thornaby in 1940

IMG_6203.thumb.jpeg.3d33ed1770c20410b7caf5cb72d27062.jpeg

IMG_6193.thumb.jpeg.c610e5ff541959b9d53c56c123674e8c.jpeg

IMG_6202.thumb.jpeg.491a5755d870bdc0f50166f90a247d87.jpeg

IMG_6197.thumb.jpeg.6a6a8b76b3721d2ab000ef4b3121518b.jpeg

IMG_6194.thumb.jpeg.0b216a77315f78ccd73e1f853b45ddb2.jpeg

IMG_6199.thumb.jpeg.da16e786a9249b309b8cf210bfc35ed5.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, SD45elect2000 said:

Was this a plane that was used for operation dynamo?

Randall

I guess it could well have been involved. Did it fly from Thornaby in Yorkshire or was it temporarily detached to a more southerly base, I don’t know.  I haven’t checked if the serial has detailed history that’s easily accessed. 
The plane and the markings certainly fit with that period. 

1 minute ago, SD45elect2000 said:

I think I have a couple of these kits, I hope mine turn out as well as yours!

Randall

Thank you Randall, much appreciated. 
A quick check on the net showed that this aircraft was lost on 9th December 1940 off the coast of southern Norway when based at Leuchars in Scotland. 
I have not yet found a link nk between this aircraft and the Dunkirk operation. 

For comparison, this is the Airfix Hudson. It had been in my stash since 2007 and I built it in 2022. I had very little information on it except that ‘A’ Flight, Airborne Forces Experimental Establishment (AFEE), were resident at RAF Chelveston, from 5 May 1942 until September 1942, and commenced flying on 10 May. They had a Lockheed Hudson tug, which towed the Hotspur glider.

52583070887_6eeb0afbb4_c.jpg
52583535736_96ee20ce8b_c.jpg
52584053028_8cd114084a_c.jpg
Having started the build I have discovered that the AFEE had Hudson III & IV tugs at other locations. I had no images of any AFEE tugs and knew only that they carried squadron code FG and used T, U, V, W & X as individual aircraft codes. The serial I borrowed from a Mk. III. So a bit of a whiff or maybe. But I had fun with the build.
52584053073_191b7103c7_c.jpg
52584053093_7df525f2dd_c.jpg
52583535706_3fdb623e59_c.jpg
52583798234_da018fb21f_c.jpg
52583798214_cc4b9c15c6_c.jpg
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, modeling maniac said:

There's an aircraft you don't see or hear of very often. Nice job Dom and good luck SD45.

1 hour ago, Grumps123 said:

Very impressive build! 👍

1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

I think that's the first Hudson model I've seen.

Nicely done Sir

Ian

Thanks for the positive comments guys. Much appreciated. 

Ratch, nice build. Thanks for sharing it. 

• Like 1

Some might find it helpful to see comments on the finish of my 224 Sqn example. 
I used Humbrol acrylic 29 & 30 for the green and brown. I applied the brown all over initially. However, it really was too thick as can be seen on the nose of the first photo. Instead of stripping it back and starting again, I carried on which was not the b st decision in the end. 
I applied gloss varnish and then the markings. That seemed to hide the carrier film well enough. 
I then tried to get a matt finish with acrylics from Xtracolour, Microscale, Humbrol, and Winsor & Newton. I left several days between applications but still no trus matt finish. 
Im currently at a loss about what to apply (by brush) next. 
Even the Vallejo Matt on the soon (?) to be posted Stranraer is not matt. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Dominic Thomas said:

Some might find it helpful to see comments on the finish of my 224 Sqn example. 
I used Humbrol acrylic 29 & 30 for the green and brown. I applied the brown all over initially. However, it really was too thick as can be seen on the nose of the first photo. Instead of stripping it back and starting again, I carried on which was not the b st decision in the end. 
I applied gloss varnish and then the markings. That seemed to hide the carrier film well enough. 
I then tried to get a matt finish with acrylics from Xtracolour, Microscale, Humbrol, and Winsor & Newton. I left several days between applications but still no trus matt finish. 
Im currently at a loss about what to apply (by brush) next. 
Even the Vallejo Matt on the soon (?) to be posted Stranraer is not matt. 

I find it next to impossible to brush paint clears - and like you I've tried all the brands I could find. The best still seems to be the old Humbrol enamel (white spirit based) Clears. Last year though I went over to using Mr Hobby 'Super Clear' rattle cans - they work very well over water based paints. Alas however, it does mean you have to mask which I hate.

The Hudson looks excellent - another type I love that I've yet to build.  

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, A J Rimmer said:

I find it next to impossible to brush paint clears - and like you I've tried all the brands I could find. The best still seems to be the old Humbrol enamel (white spirit based) Clears. Last year though I went over to using Mr Hobby 'Super Clear' rattle cans - they work very well over water based paints. Alas however, it does mean you have to mask which I hate.

The Hudson looks excellent - another type I love that I've yet to build.  

Thanks for the suggestions. I too hate masking. It took me 3/4 hour to mask a 1/48 Lightning fuselage and 15 to spray the intended area. 

This is the Airfix version in the markings of 206 squadron, a decal version offered with every issue of the kit, either on its own or as an option. A picture of the actual aircraft can be seen at:   Hudson Mk.I P5143 VX-B of No. 206 Squadron RAF | World War Photos

I built this more or less out of the box but with a new Aeroclub turret and some extra details in the cockpit.

A look at the real aircraft shows that the demarcation line between upper cammo and the underside is more wavy than shown on the kit instructions ( or on my model )

Its a good looking kit and worth a Vintage Classics release.

DSC_0198.thumb.JPG.15bbac778ac9e8f96a2c7ce389d486f3.JPG

Edited by jopres57
  • Like 6

12 minutes ago, Ratch said:

But what is it?

It a Lockeed Electra. They have one in the New England air museum, I think it’s a very pretty airplane.

I believe the Hudson evolved from the Electra.

Randall

Edited by SD45elect2000

This is one model that needs updating. All available kits are more like toys then actual models. There is also the potential to create the Ventura/Lexington, Harpoon, Electra and Lodestar. Another words, a kit that has a lot of potential for multi buys, especially from Yanks, Aussies and Kiwis.

Edited by Marto