R239 Class 4P 2-6-4T conversion to DCC

SamES

My first post. Hello all. I am attempting to convert an R239 Class 4P to DCC. I have installed an R8249 decoder and the loco runs fine on straight and curved track. However, when crossing points in the turnout direction, it stops when going slowly or hesitates

when going faster. Also, the select controller I am using resets/reboots and goes back to address 3. It appears that the wheel crossing the frog is shorting the rails. I have compared the wheels with a modern Hornby DCC loco and the wheels on the R239 are

wider. Is this the problem or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Regards

poliss said:

If you can adjust the distance between the wheels to 14.4mm it should help.

Hello Poliss. Have measured distance between wheels and they are all just over 14mm. Problem occurs when large wheels are passing over frogs.

Bogie wheels pass over with no problems. Thanks for the reply.
Did the Hornby wheel spec change at some point to better work with DCC or accomodate tighter spacing of live rails across frogs?
Regards

SamES said:

poliss said:

The only difference between DC and DCC is the decoder in the loco. No other standards have changed.

Hello again Poliss. Will check the wheel spacing again just to make sure. How would I go about

adjusting the spacing? It's somthing on our Class 4P loco because we run three locos on the layout and only have a problem with the class 4P. Will carry on with the investigation!
Thanks

When you say wider wheels do you mean wider tyres? Older locos did have wider tyres and deeper flanges which could cause shorting as they go over points. It's also possible that deeper flanges could lift the loco as it goes through points. If it's just

shorting because the wheel tyres are touching the other rail as the loco goes over the points, the problem can be solved by using insulated rail joiners on the 'v' exit rails from the points. You will need to add power feeders on the rails beyond the points

if insulated rail joiners are fitted.

Waht age is this loco, looking on the web it appears to be of an earlier era.

I recall that in the early years that locos had deeper flanges and that the centre drive wheel was flange less to allow it to go around the then available curves.

You

say that other locos run well on your layout, what era are they?

If you are using Hornby set track then the points are insulafrog and the problem will be due to the wheels not touching the track, look at the frog, and the wheels, when the wheels are

on the frog have they lifted off the track? If yes then the plastic on the frog under the flange needs to be reduced or the wheels replaced with new wheels. Attempting to move older wheels on axles is not as easy are the modern ones.

Check also the pickups

on the wheels and if needs be adjust. If the wheels don't lift then try a stay alive decoder.

Flanges on these earlier locos shouldn't be a problem, the wheel standards haven't really changed that much. Hornby points in recent years seem to have gained more shallow flangeways. The loco was made in the time period 1992 - 1997 so shouldn't be a problem

unless there is something wrong with the loco. Hornby locos made after 1973 should run on modern track as a rule.

Hello again Poliss. I meant wider tyres. The loco is an older one. Have checked with a meter now and problem is definately the large/driving wheels shorting the rails as they go over the narrow part of the frog on points. The centre driving wheels have

rubber tyres and did have larger flanges on the inside edge compared to the outside edge. I thought this was the problem and reduced the inside flanges to the same size as the outside. This partly solved the problem. Loco now goes over single points but stops

when running over two points, one after the other. Don't know anything about insulated rail joiners and power feeds but will look into it. We are using Hornby 8072/3 points with DCC clips. My thought at the moment is to look into the feasability of changing

the wheels! Thanks for the help.

Regards

Strange! I have the same loco but R.299 made in the same time period. It has the same wheelsets and it has a decoder fitted, so far I have had no bother with it running over Hornby pointwork, although I had to increase the depth of the point flangeways

on a couple of new Hornby china made points with a small needle file for it and others to run.

As has been rightly said, was the loco a good runner wihtout DCC? A loco should be in good fettle before DCC conversion, Is the pointwork laid level and flat?

[reply]magfan said:

Thanks for the replies. Have looked into replacing wheels. Not straightforward. Service sheet 262B covers three models and a different wheel set is listed for each one! I tested the loco before conversion. It ran well forwards

and reverse on straight and curved track. But, I didn't try it over points. Will continue the investigation and report back.

Regards

Hello again. Have had a good look at this today and have found the cause of the problem.I should say causes of the problem. I had solved the problem when I reduced the size of the inside flange on the centre drive wheels. The reason the loco continued

to stop was that two of our points are slightly different to the others. And, sods law prevailing, they were the ones I was testing on. The cause of the problem is the front and rear left hand driving wheels, looking from the rear of the loco, shorting the

two centre rails when going in the turnout direction. The short occurs when the wheels are just going onto the frog from the curved centre rail or, off the frog and onto the curved centre rail in the other direction. On close inspection, I noticed that on

the two points causing the problem, the two centre rails that go almost to a point at the frog, where closer to the frog than on other points that weren't causing a problem. On the problem points the gap is around 2mm. On the others the gap is about 3mm on

the curved rial and slightly more on the straight rail. The problem points are an R8072 and an R8073. I bought them second hand. Apart from the already mentioned, they look well used but are otherwise identical to ones I have bought new. As I have said, other

locos with narrower tyres and smaller wheels don't have a problem so it's a combination of the wider tyres on this loco and the narrow gaps on the points I am looking into modifying the points. Thanks again for all the help with this.

Regards

Hello again. Have modified the two points causing the problem and R239 loco is passing over them with no problems now. I filed the corners nearest the frog on the two centre rails to increase the gap between them. Thanks again for all the help.

Regards

[reply]magfan said:

Hello magfan. Thanks for your reply. You say you have converted a lot of older locos so I am hoping you can help with another DCC question. All the locos I have converted so far have had a component or components wired accross the

motor. No problem on modern Hornby locos as i have followed conversion instructions on this site. On older locos there is also a component wired accross motor but it looks different. Is it an older version of the same component or does it need replacing with

a new type for DCC working?

Regards

I tend to keep the capacitor unless it's causing problems as they occassionally do. It's left mainly for legal reasons and the law surrounding TV and radio interferance. As has been said the decoders have radio suppression on the boards so it's belt and

braces to leave the capacitor.

It's been a source of debate for yonks in the model railway fraternity as to remove or keep.

Archived