Platform canopy height.

Rustyjt

Any suggestions on the hight above carriage roof a platform canopy should be? Looking at photographs they seem quite consistently close to a carriage but could be from perspective of viewing from below. Just trying out some options and feel I need to lower the ones shown in attached photo if I stay with them. 20240817_120212.thumb.jpg.9962e928484c92d9066bd78ae4a7cd98.jpg

They don't look a million miles away from the prototype - it might just be that style that makes them look overscale. The flat sided ones had a considerable gap between the top of the carriage as you can see here:

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrls226.htm

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrls2149.htm

Maybe dropping the supports by 2-3mm would be enough?

Edited by moawkwrd
  • Thanks 1

Tend to agree with you, variations wherever I look. To my eye they just felt a bit high. Must be a spec for gauging but that obviously would just be the minimum. Will try one reduced a couple of mm and see how it looks.

@Rustyjt I have the same platform canopies as you, I think.

Although not a scientific comparison, I have taken a few photographs for you to see to compare against figures.

The figures are the ModelU TT120 station staff set (Not 1:100th scale)

The canopy lines up reasonably well with the roof line of the PECO Station building.

Hope this helps 🙂 

PC1.jpg

PC2.jpg

PC3.jpg

PC4.jpg

PC5.jpg

PC6.jpg

• Like 3

I think that the issue with the canopies is that they are a little too "chunky" in terms of the wooden valance.  They just look so oversize (in my opinion) in some of the images, it could look like each valance board has a scale size of 40 cm wide. I think they would be around 14 -16 cm wide

Edited by Stephen-1260829
added the letter K to loo
  • Like 1

Compared to a scale figure, the downward slats are the same width as an adult human. I can only recall seeing the slats about 15-20cm wide on the real thing. A disparity in the scale there will upset the overall appearance. Perhaps cut them down the centre with a fine saw blade, the gap between could help change the overall look. 

• Like 1

Bear in mind different model makers take a different approach to achieving the desired Impression and there is a consideration for the materials they are working with.

Counting bricks against door heights is my rivet counter moment:

IRL Brick (metric) gauge = 75mm 

Hornby terrace house = 140mm resin

Greenwood Lazer = 123mm plywood 

Auhagen signal box = 77mm injection mould plastic

All different materials all different dimensions required to give the impression of brickwork.

Some sage words from YorkModelRail.com who offer some fine pieces for scratch building including canopy valences: "It’s important to get roofs to look good, as it’s the most prominent feature when you look down onto the model layout"

Edited by StuLarge
Typo and material info
  • Like 2