Turnout Clip Problem

Ray-376212

23 minutes ago, ukpetey said:

In other news but on the subject of DCC turnout clips, I am pleased to advise that today I became a ‘master’ in the fitment of these small and springy devils. I have had some poor experiences previously trying to fit these, including pinging off and vanishing (the clips not me!)

Today was the day that I decided it was time to show these little bas***ds who was boss! I selected from my newly arrived tweezer set a likely assistant, and knuckled down. Twelve clips fitted to six points without incident, within five minutes, and not even a bad swear! 

Champion! 

Well done.  Your forum Ranking will now be increased as a result 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, ntpntpntp said:

@ateshci

@Fishmanoz  I think ateschi's referring to the wiring requirements rather than how DCC works 🙂 

Oops ntp, you are probably correct.  And doubly my error given that what I thought was a simple attempt to clarify differences has elicited the emotional response on the previous page.  Then not the first time a DC/DCC debate has been so.

Edited by Fishmanoz

1 hour ago, Fishmanoz said:

what I thought was a simple attempt to clarify differences

Makes perfect sense to me, it's an oft used explanation and fundamentally correct as far as I'm concerned.  Doesn't make one method better than the other, they both have pros and cons. 

• Like 1

So why not just say that one is controlled via a chip and the other direct from the controller. That other phrase is technically incorrect and often used by some dcc users trying to make out their system is somehow better, its not, its just a different way of controlling a loco with some added extras that some like and some don't.

Just say what it is, DC or DCC.

I think you may be being sensitive to the description that ‘DC drives the track and DCC drives the loco’ I have found it a very useful way to explain the fundamental difference between to the two control systems. 
In DC, whatever is on the track will respond to the signals (DC current) accordingly. In DCC only the device identified in the signal (BT or via track) will respond. 
For people unfamiliar, that’s a very easy way for them to grasp the basic difference and from then you can explain how DCC requires decoders (cost) but can add more functionality. Equally that DC is capable of being flexible by creating blocks. 
Better is only appropriate to the users requirements. Some really don’t like sound so sound fitted locos are not better for them. 👍

• Like 5

Perhaps I am but I'm fed up with it being stuffed down my face! The track is just a solid wire, so saying one is controlled by a (computer) chip and the other direct is a much better and more accurate way of describing the difference especially as many DCC systems use a signal passed down the track!

• Like 1

Of course I was referring to wiring requirements only. For signals and turnouts, people have also used bus-based and microcomputers decades ago, when train control still was mostly based on track voltage.