ipad software

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I understand this release is more of a maintenance release, supporting the hand-helds and voice control and fixing some small bugs and making a few minor improvements to existing areas. There are a few new things, mainly to do with programming

and all is contained in the file "Release Notes.txt" which you can open using NotePad in the RailMaster program folder (usually c:program filesrailmaster)

• 2 weeks later...

The apps use RailMaster running on the PC to work, otherwise how else would you connect an Apple, Android, Palm etc to the DCC controller.

It says on the blurb that you can connect up to eight handheld devices to RailMaster to operate the software.

How do you connect the iOS device to the PC then?

LMSTim said:

The apps use RailMaster running on the PC to work, otherwise how else would you connect an Apple, Android, Palm etc to the DCC controller.

It says on the blurb that

you can connect up to eight handheld devices to RailMaster to operate the software.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All Now I have managed to connect my elite to my laptop I am trying to get the ipad app working. I am afraid I have difficulties when we start talking server ports and alike and in the absence of examples in the blurb could someone advise me please

which IP address is required (I am presuming it is the IP address of my laptop) and server port number (30 by default ) Is that the port the usb connected too or another one. If different a Jack and Jill answer would be appreciated. Many thanks Malcolm

Both PDF guides do show examples of IP addressing, but obviously can't go into a complete tutorial of network addressing.

This site has quite a good breakdown, which should help you understand how IP addressing and Ports works:-

http://www.comptechdoc.org/independent/networking/guide/netportsandaddr.html

There's

tons of information on the Internet on IP addressing and Ports and what they mean.

Essentially, all you have to do ensure your wireless networking TCP/IP address on your PC is static ... it should also match the range on your wireless router. That's

really the key.

Hi LMS Tim. Thanks for the reply. From your previous posts it is obvious you are well versed in these things but I guess the vast majority are not so knowledgeable as hornby presume. I am afraid the link is as clear as mud to me. I will retread the manuals

but all I really need to know is how to find required IP address and port or do I just make them up. Must be a simple way of doing it so we can all enjoy the experience. Far better in a manual to start with presumption of basic knowledge and not technic. Thanks

for your reply and indeed all the help you provide. No doubt I will work it out. Thanks again Malcolm

Just got it to work with my Android tablet.

More luck than judgement I think.

My "Master PC" running the activated copy of RM is a net-book which is connected wireless to the router.

The Android tablet a Chinese clone running Ice Cream Sandwich

had the wifi turned on.

First thing I did was go into network connection details for the PC or laptop you have as the master(the one connected to the Elite!)

If you look in there maybe under advanced tab or properties you should see what the IP address

is of that device. MAKE A NOTE OF IT!

Follow the instructions in that news update in RM which gives links on where to go to download the correct application for your device.

Basically you use your tablet of which ever make and download the correct browser,

in my case Google chrome then once installed type in the url address of the application again this info is in the news update in RM.

Once installed it defaults to an IP address which was different to that of my master PC which I noted down earlier.

I

changed the IP address in the settings tab on the software shown on the Android tablet to the same as the PC and would you know, it connected and worked................sort of.

I loaded it once and the locos downloaded and the track plan loaded all

OK, the problem is the loco controls, it tries to have two loco controls down the left hand side of the screen although it's not large enough to have two so they overlap each other and can't be used, the track plan down the right hand side is perfect and I

can zoom in/out and it actually operated a point motor.

I tried again to see if the loco control would work, this time it loaded for a phone so in landscape mode I had one loco controller down the left hand side of the screen but couldn't access the

bottom of it and there was no track plan.

Turning the tablet to portrait switched the loco control display off and showed the track plan.

Seems a bit odd as it's a 7inch tablet so I would of thought it would work OK with it running Ice cream sandwich

which is Android operating system V4.0 that RM says is the minimum required, maybe it's because it's a cheaper Chinese copy although it did come with larger memory and the updated OS.

I don't know if it's possible to update the OS to a later version,

it might kill it completely!

The RM information does say it's a Beta so a bit of work required I think.

It's also going to cost £9.99 to buy the full app when it's available in Feb 2013

Cheers

Ian

In fact, could you please let us know of the most cost-effective solution available in the world. That would be most useful.

As far as I see it you can get:-

Hornby eLink DCC controller + RailMaster PC software pack for street price £58

Hand-held

app for the above for £9.99

That's a grand total of £67.99 for a complete DCC control system with software and app.

Can you let me know where I can get a complete DCC system for under £67.99, even if I do have to spend months setting it up.

I'd

be most grateful to know.

LMSTim said:

Free eh?

Where can I get an app that is fully usable for "free" please. I would very much like that.

Could I have a list of the "ALL OTHER SYSTEMS" that are providing a "FREE" app please that you spoke about.

iRoc

/ Z21 / WiThrottle / TouchCab just to name the 4 i have on my Iphone and use when visiting some of my mates layouts that dont use Hornby controlers
all can be down loaded from app store or on manufactures web site
the lates i got was for the Z21 as a

mate has just equiped his layout with the system

So my friend LMSTim draw in your horns and check before you shout

Mike

Sorry, I made a mistake on my previous post. It seems the company selling the RailMaster eLink pack are not doing it for £58 now, but modelrailwaysdirect are doing it for £63.75.

So to summarise, you can get the Hornby eLink DCC controller + RailMaster

software + handheld app for £73.74 - this includes the DCC controller hardware so you need nothing else other than your PC and a hand-held device of some kind.

I'd love to know where I can get a complete DCC system with app for under £63.75. I'm very

much lookinf forward to your answer Mike as then I won't bother with RailMaster.

So, Mike You state that iRoc has a free app, Z21 has a free app, WiThrottle has a free app and TouchCab has a free app.

Would you like to expand on that. Thay are all TOTALLY free? No hidden extras?

For example, the fact that the Z21 is a

free "app" but the hardware they say you MUST have to use it costs a mere £1,000 is not part of the equation?????

It seems that you have been misinformed Mike.

You say that Hornby are "milking" the users, yet what you don't seem to be doing

is mentioned the total cost of ownership.

I have also looked at iRoc and it is $11.99 .. not FREE. Where are you getting your information from??????

And to add one final point, the Hornby handhelds allow you to control tow locos and four points/signals

for free.

Mike_G said:

iRoc / Z21 / WiThrottle / TouchCab just to name the 4 i have on my Iphone and use when visiting some of my mates layouts that dont use Hornby controlers

all can be down loaded from app store or on

manufactures web site

the lates i got was for the Z21 as a mate has just equiped his layout with the system

So my friend LMSTim draw in your horns and check before you shout

Mike

Oh ... and Withrottle is £6.99!!!!

Mike ... seems you have been majorly misinformed. From "ALL OTHER SYSTEMS ARE FREE" it appears that NONE OF THEM ARE FREE!

I'd really like to hear what you have to say on this, after misleading all the readers

of this forum.

LMSTim said:

In fact, could you please let us know of the most cost-effective solution available in the world. That would be most useful.

As far as I see it you can get:-

Hornby eLink DCC controller + RailMaster PC software

pack for street price £58
Hand-held app for the above for £9.99
That's a grand total of £67.99 for a complete DCC control system with software and app.

Can you let me know where I can get a complete DCC system for under £67.99, even if I do have

to spend months setting it up.

I'd be most grateful to know.

Once again you shout too load

it is not possibleto get a complete Hornby system for the price you say
for a start you cant quote discount prices they are not available

everywere

Also at the moment you are only quoting for part of a system

so lets see whats need ed for a system and then you give me the cost according to Hornbys quoted price

1 Elite
1 Select
2x Railmaster
1 reverse modual
2x

Point Decoder
2x iphone apps
1x software for voice control
and thats still not taking into account the detection system yet to appear from the wood work

note i did not include the e-link in this list as i assume that haveing an Elite ( like

most people) i wont need to buy this

Mike

LMSTim said:

Oh ... and Withrottle is £6.99!!!!

Mike ... seems you have been majorly misinformed. From "ALL OTHER SYSTEMS ARE FREE" it appears that NONE OF THEM ARE FREE!

I'd really like to hear what you have to say on this,

after misleading all the readers of this forum.

not at all,, i have them and use them, i have not paid 1 penny for them

i know z21 is expencive, and i never said that hornbys system is not good or not cheap because it is

but an

iphone app is just a software update to Railmaster and should be free as will be the voice control software, when Railaster came out it was said to be an ongoing development and would be upgraded over the internet as time passes,

Mike

Archived