McDonnell Douglas Phantom FG.1 | A06016 | 1:72

Tour de Airfix

4 minutes ago, Tour de Airfix said:

Not much to see for this afternoon’s scale modelling.

DB37E13E-B687-46FC-AFA2-739E892528EF.thumb.jpeg.34a1f15ac67382c370bb6009fcd04959.jpeg

I seem to have made just a very small dent in the decals … there are over 250 of them! 🤦‍♂️

This upper surface colour looks much darker - lighting conditions??

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dominic Thomas said:

This upper surface colour looks much darker - lighting conditions??

Yes. All I’ve added is gloss varnish. The way light interacts with different colours and surfaces is a fascinating thing.   

The pictures I take when completed, once I’ve given it a matt / semi gloss finish, will hopefully be a truer likeness. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, A J Rimmer said:

That's a mad amount of decals! 

I may be being controversial, but yes in my opinion far too many to be necessary.

To be honest I’m a little concerned that the final model will just look as though it’s been covered in graffiti.

Oh dear I am having a bit of a downer on this kit 😂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ratch said:

I built this one in 2020.

FGR.2 XV446/E of 23 Sqn, Port Stanley, Falkland Islands, 1983.

That looks brilliant in the new all over grey finish. Which kit would that have been, as I see figures and the Airfix stand? 

2 hours ago, Tour de Airfix said:

I may be being controversial, but yes in my opinion far too many to be necessary.

To be honest I’m a little concerned that the final model will just look as though it’s been covered in graffiti.

Oh dear I am having a bit of a downer on this kit 😂

Not controversial at all. I think stencils are pretty much much a Marmite subject, you either loath them or love them. Personally I'm in the former camp and generally don't bother with stencils unless they add something visually to the model - most of my small ones get left off.  

4 hours ago, Tour de Airfix said:

Ah! I also have that kit in my stash. 

So you also had to work a way to get pilots installed 👍

I have quite a few spare pilots to choose from, it was just a matter of the best fit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ratch said:

You can apply as many (or few) decals as you like> But I know that some folk would complain if they were not included

That is indeed very true - it's all personal preference at the end of the day and better to have them and not use them rather than the other way around. one thing I do like though is to have the stencils on the stores and pylons - makes look so much better.  

• Like 3

I knew it would be contentious 😂

So, day 2 on the decals and I’ve almost finished the top side. I can’t help thinking it’s looking a bit like “Lydia, The Tattooed Lady” but I’m sure it will all come good in the end! 

FAACD447-BB6C-44AD-BA43-6CC6DE5F8FDC.thumb.jpeg.9889c65ef41ee3ae9b881cf1b9371950.jpeg

A couple of oddities are that some decals are duplicated in different views with different numbers and the roundels include the same again. Also, the fin in the kit has a wing while the drawings don’t. I can’t see that I had a choice and have selected the wrong one so odd it is 😉

On the plus side, I am enjoying the process 👍

• Like 6

Finished!

B998211E-66DE-4D60-845E-C30E8C1B65DA.thumb.jpeg.7e4fea6892b0cc3ab7fc09db8641c500.jpeg

All 250+ decals applied and I have to admit I do like the impact they have had on the underside more than the top surfaces, where to me, they look like dirty marks.

625AE778-BFBD-402F-B57F-7F0259C09027.thumb.jpeg.511e6bdb824ef02f5582a7dceab80a53.jpeg

Having run out of gloss varnish, in search of an another, I picked up a bottle of Vallejo’s new polyurethane satin varnish. I normally make my own satin, with a mix of gloss and matt, but I’m now a convert to this pre-mixed satin! 

Finally, some time ago I built Italeri’s aircraft carrier deck for a US Navy jet long since disposed of. Fortunately I still had the deck boxed away, just awaiting this moment!

A28A0554-5D2A-4040-9BA1-7655AB0E269C.thumb.jpeg.59439182879a8448f8f443ef9a1be22a.jpeg

There is one glaringly obvious error in my finish which, if it get’s sufficiently on my nerves, I will have a go at trying to correct … especially if you guys notice it too 😉

• Like 8

This Phantom looks great well done. 

I have to say that at first sight, I thought you had weathered it. Then I zoomed in to find the multitude of decals. I’m impressed you put them all on, but some on the underside especially look rather large and bright. 
None the less, excellent result. 

• Thanks 1

On 24/08/2024 at 18:47, Valhalla said:

Fantastic Outcome with this well done, I think it's great.

Maybe the external tanks should be all one colour? I don't think I would have noticed unless you said 🙂

Ian

No, that’s not the errorI was thinking of. I actually took the two colour tanks from an archive picture. 

IMG_1499.webp.dbdae18ec2fa5f07cdede9ed3250696a.webp

That said, I’ve seen both this and all grey tanks and all grey would have been less work, but I was on a roll 😊

Jonathan

• Like 1