Havoc Turbinlite

Dominic Thomas

This is the MPM 1/72 kit of the Douglas Havoc II Turbinlite, in the markings of 1459 Flight RAF based at RAF Hibaldstow (Lincolnshire) in March 1942.

The Turbinlite (Turbinlight?) was an adaptation of the A-20 Havoc featuring a powerful searchlight in the nose powered by batteries in the bomb bay. The plan was to locate enemy aircraft using the onboard radar and then illuminate them with the searchlight. 
Operations were conducted by the Havoc and a supporting fighter, usually a Hurricane. In this case, 1459 Flt was partnered by 253 Sqn RAF. 
The Flight was relatively successful with 8 illuminations of which claims of 1 destroyed, 1 probable, & 2 damaged.

The Flight was raised to squadron status in September as 538 Squadron RAF. 
The system was abandoned in January 1943 with the improvements in airborne radar. 
Anyway, pix : —

IMG_6283.thumb.jpeg.636c1d3861bb676e758fc4ed9d40db44.jpeg

IMG_6284.thumb.jpeg.aa730ce29cd5735deb87f2c9a8b7ca67.jpeg

IMG_6285.thumb.jpeg.6a8aedc920095862f60e53a844ac8bde.jpeg

IMG_6286.thumb.jpeg.be7e76d738e6cdb7e0c52eacfa9167f7.jpeg

It did take a while to build and the fit of some parts was not great. I am happy with the result especially the engines and the foil from a wine bottle for the backing of the searchlight. There was plenty of room in and behind the nose for ‘lead’ shot so tail-sitting was not an issue. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Topcat_Ern said:

An unusual concept there, nicely done.  Not sure that the fellow in brown should be having a Woodbine in the hangar!

Andy

Thanks for your comments. 
Interestingly, I had assumed he had his hand over his face thinking ‘I’m not looking forward to flying in this’ …..

31 minutes ago, Ratch said:

That's a cracker Dominic. I did the High Planes Models one in 1/72. Douglas DB-7 Havoc 1 "Turbinlite" (72040)

51084281351_eccc0acf0d_c.jpg

Thanks Ratch. 
I like the well worn finish on yours. I suits it. 
I left off the weathering on mine as I was concentrating on getting a decent matt finish. 

• Like 1

Thank you, paul71.

I was unsure of a precise match for the de-icing paste on the leading edges. In the end I went with Trainer Yellow as it was sufficiently different to the yellow on the kit roundels. I probably should have tried to find a more orangey shade. Perhaps next time. 

Outstanding! And in my hanger nonetheless!

getting these results on the MPM model means that you have passed beginner and leveled up to … well something,

These are not Airfix kits so they don’t really like going together.

i don’t have this kit but I do have a couple of black Hurricanes to go with should I get one.

Randall

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Topcat_Ern said:

An unusual concept there, nicely done.  Not sure that the fellow in brown should be having a Woodbine in the hangar!

Andy

He’s not Curtiss LeMay! Lots of photos exist of the head of SAC smoking on the flightline!

Randall

• Like 1

These aircraft, amongst others, suffered from ice buildup on the leading edges in the colder nights. The first attempt at stopping the problem was to use a yellow-orange paste. Later on, inflatable rubber ‘boots’ were fitted to the leading edges of the flying surfaces & these were black. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A J Rimmer said:

Fabulous! 

Never heard of that type before. I can't help thinking that putting a couple of guns on the Havoc might have been an idea. 

I don’t think it had the space for guns and ammunition. 

Thanks for the compliment. 

• Like 1