British castle or manor in TT120

Ilmson

I'm looking for a small English castle or a large manor house in TT120 gauge.

Can anyone recommend something?

Please no scale distortions, the surrounding park on an hill including the nursery is small and borders the city, whose buildings are not exactly tiny.
The area available for the castle is a maximum of 40cm x 40cm.

Regards,

Ilmson

20 minutes ago, ntpntpntp said:

Not sure if there is much out there?  You could try the military modelling/wargaming world and look for 15mm "scale" stuff (height of a person).  

Nice idea, but I mainly only find fortresses, guild houses and vampire castles, or French ones, but nothing that would fit.

I would even scare all the people out of town with this one:

image.png.39feff21fe75b8823f5b3ab1b8311148.png

I found one English manor house, but at 80 pounds for such a low laser-cut level it is definitely overpriced:

image.thumb.png.f012419a180ec756eadd18415f64c5a6.png

Posted (edited)

To clarify the question, in terms of style only buildings between the 17th and 19th century would be considered, as this is a landscape garden.

Edited by Ilmson

The scalescenes OO kit printed down to TT gauge seemed to me to be too large as it is sited on top of a hill at the back of the layout. So I remodelled it in N gauge and it seems much better in proportion. This looks very similar to Broadway Tower in Worcestershire if anyone knows it.

16 minutes ago, Robc058 said:

Metcalfe also do a range of card kits in N scale including walls as well a buildings. 40x40 cm could get you an impressive site. But it could be too medieval for yout taste?

Thanks, medieval is not the right thing for me. I would rather have a manor house in the country like Elton Hall or better yet Belton House.
Victorian houses would also be suitable.

I also feel that card houses lack depth. Since the house will be in the foreground, I need 3-dimensional details.

On 26/08/2024 at 03:57, Fishmanoz said:

Would the mods please add “house” after “manor” in the title.  That should also make it clear the castles aren’t locos.

Especially as the GWR Castle class is already announced and we’re awaiting details on price and release date 🙂

On 25/08/2024 at 22:44, Ilmson said:

Thanks, medieval is not the right thing for me. I would rather have a manor house in the country like Elton Hall or better yet Belton House.
Victorian houses would also be suitable.

I also feel that card houses lack depth. Since the house will be in the foreground, I need 3-dimensional details.

I also wanted a manor house but found nothing so I scratch built Gunby Hall from scalsescenes textures . It only took me a week after downloading pictures and finding some architects plans online . I did however previously spend many hours watching videos on Chandwell first . After building several Scalescene kits I then designed some smaller projects , making many mistakes before getting the hang of using Inkscape , I then jumped in the deep end to make the Hall , it wasn't that difficult as it is only 4 boxes with the roofs being the most complicated . If I started again I would add more depth to all the cream features which are on the same level with the bricks .

The building has no interior and the windows (95 of them) are printed , cutting out an average of 20 panes per window was too much to contemplate . As it has now lives in the background this doesn't matter . Still needs weathering and vegetation adding .Gunby_Hall.thumb.jpg.e5836ab0812b55e56f732fb7e9c4790f.jpg

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, AV59 said:

I also wanted a manor house but found nothing so I scratch built Gunby Hall from scalsescenes textures . It only took me a week after downloading pictures and finding some architects plans online . I did however previously spend many hours watching videos on Chandwell first . After building several Scalescene kits I then designed some smaller projects , making many mistakes before getting the hang of using Inkscape , I then jumped in the deep end to make the Hall , it wasn't that difficult as it is only 4 boxes with the roofs being the most complicated . If I started again I would add more depth to all the cream features which are on the same level with the bricks .

The building has no interior and the windows (95 of them) are printed , cutting out an average of 20 panes per window was too much to contemplate . As it has now lives in the background this doesn't matter . Still needs weathering and vegetation adding .

I'm afraid I'll go that route too. However, I have already had experience with my train station hall and will use Fusion 360 again, so I won't just design in 2D.
Cutting is not a problem for me, I leave that to my desktop laser.

So far I have only used Inkscape to improve the vector concatenation of my dxf files so that they can be clearly understood by Xtools.

The only thing I'm nervous about is the three-dimensional stucco. Not the printing itself, thanks to 3D printing.

More because of the construction. I'm currently still struggling with the substructure of the train station and waiting for the muse to kiss me again. In Fusion 360, this can sometimes turn into a sysiphus task.

But maybe I can find a simpler template than this one:

image.thumb.png.58d40b3e6832885d34b1e21000bbe1c2.png

Edited by Ilmson

13 hours ago, Ilmson said:

I'm afraid I'll go that route too. However, I have already had experience with my train station hall and will use Fusion 360 again, so I won't just design in 2D.
Cutting is not a problem for me, I leave that to my desktop laser.

I use a combination of CAD (it's been my work for over 40 years) and Inkscape . I then create a drawing and export it to dxf and import into Inkscape . Then it is possible to snap to the dxf drawing to create the shapes required for the scalescenes textured printing . This is the method that I used to shrink my house down to TT 120 scale . The Hall above was done entirely in Inkscape as an experiment , it was surprisingly easy to do . It is important with both methods to design the walls with card thickness + thickness of paper , something I learned from Chandwell . If you only use card size especially with multi layered walls then you will find that something like the roof will be out by 1-3mm .

• Like 1