Atholl Hunt magnetic couplings

SiGEB-HVHR

I found some of the Hunt ones a bit variable. Usually them coming out rather than hard to fit. I will look to put the Hornby magnetic ones on coaching stock rakes when the become available as an accessory. Use standard ones for easier uncoupling. 

Unfortunately I’ve already installed the Hunts to all our rolling stock, so having The Duchess with a different coupling would be a pain… Will try again another day, then get the rear steam pipe reattached by a pro with steadier hands than ours 🙄

To think, we nearly went N gauge ! 😱

I have settled on having a hybrid coach in each rake. I do like the magnetics and we find them very reliable at OO gauge on a public layout.

I share your feelings about N-gauge, although the Kato range almost won me over.

Edited by dBerriff

28 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

For coach rakes I don’t separate them in normal running so hybrid as @dBerriff mentioned and all wagons are on std too, with the magic magnetic uncoupler wand they are easy 😁

I should check my brain, I read cock roaches.

• Haha 1

On 11/09/2024 at 16:58, david_watts1 said:

"I do cut 0.5mm off the tab of the coupling before inserting though."

I used to do that on the first few batches of couplings I had, but the latest batch seem to have shorter tabs. They must have modified the design.

I think they have old and new designs on the shelf.

When the HST first came out I fitted them no problem, same again on some Staniers. Then, with no need to uncouple the Silver Jubilee rake I wanted to put a newer one received recently on the A4 and it would not fit. This needed the rear end trimming down to clip into place.

Edited by Silver Fox 17
  • Like 1